VNT/VGT Turbo's

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

VNT/VGT Turbo's

Postby speed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am

Will variable nozzle or variable geometry turbo's ever be a viable option for our cars?

My knowledge is very limited on such systems. I do remember much talk on them in the 90's and am aware that many manufacturers use VNT setups on diesel powered vehicles.

The concept is very attractive.

I've read about issues with petrol engines using such setups due to excessive EGT's and also the vanes clogging up with carbon and exhaust particles on diesel applications locking the vanes until dismantled and cleaned.

Apparently Porsche have had success on petrol engines but the cost of the turbo's is extremely excessive.

Could we see reasonably priced and reliable VNT or VGT turbo's in our future?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Re: VNT/VGT Turbo's

Postby NitroDann » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:41 am

We already have turbos which make >350rwhp and are lag free.

How much bigger a turbo do you want?
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

The Zork
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: VNT/VGT Turbo's

Postby The Zork » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:55 am

Variable vane technologies were developed for the turbo F1 days. My 911-997 Turbo had this setup, which is standard Porsche from 2006 onwards. It is designed to get maximum torque out of the turbo at much lower engine speeds with reduced lag, then the vanes get streamlined as the speeds increases. The Turbo had 95% of peak torque from 1200rpm and felt like a rocket ship. Audi do this now also with great effect. I don't know whether a diesel turbo would be ok on a petrol engine.

speed
Speed Racer

Re: RE: Re: VNT/VGT Turbo's

Postby speed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 am

NitroDann wrote:We already have turbos which make >350rwhp and are lag free.

How much bigger a turbo do you want?

Not really after more top end power.
I am interested in the concept of having all the power super low in the rev range and also up top.

I wasn't really planning on changing my setup per se just interested in the technology available.

As much as I enjoy my setup for what it cost me, an old school T28 slapped on the side of a B6 seems to be 1 size too large for anything low in the rev range.
A T25 would have been more suitable but after experiencing the kick the T28 gives, I couldn't go back to a smaller turbo.

Maybe one of your manifolds and a BB turbo would give better flow and spool up fast enough to address this.
In your experience, can the lag I'm experiencing with my setup be tuned out with boost control?

The Zork wrote:Variable vane technologies were developed for the turbo F1 days. My 911-997 Turbo had this setup, which is standard Porsche from 2006 onwards. It is designed to get maximum torque out of the turbo at much lower engine speeds with reduced lag, then the vanes get streamlined as the speeds increases. The Turbo had 95% of peak torque from 1200rpm and felt like a rocket ship. Audi do this now also with great effect. I don't know whether a diesel turbo would be ok on a petrol engine.

Apparently the Porsche turbos cost >10k US. Audi, Mercedes etc do run VNT diesel setups but all at lower boost. They are still exposed to clogging up and seizing the vanes.
Petrol engines do emit greater exhaust temps than diesels which is one of the reasons why the Porsche VNT setup is made of more whiz bang materials and cost significantly more.

The concept appears sound but the reliability and longevity on mainstream vehicles does not appear to have developed enough for our use.

Garrett have appeared to overcome this with their slider on the compressor side but I've not heard anyone using it.

It's all interesting stuff but maybe no longer a viable option with all the other readily available tech improvements in combustion engines over the years and a traditional BB turbo.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”