Hot restart issues, solved.

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Hot restart issues, solved.

Postby Red_Bullet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Maybe something stupid like this: Or maybe even longer taper if necessary.

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/FKTFeg]Image[/url]ASE hot start fix proposal by Keith Wade, on Flickr[/url]

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Yes people do that also, a longer taper after 60c or similar. You can employ this and a modified IAT curve. Also you can set the fuel pump to run with the key and just let it cycle for 30 seconds before you start it. All stop gaps, really. I bet the OEM uses the SE IAT to measure soak only and solves the issues this way.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:32 pm

Working around the problem rather than solving it, I can live with it though, it's not such a big deal.

Not keen on running the fuel pump for long periods without starting car. I've already had a lambda sensor fail once. I put it down to sitting for long periods heated before starting the engine, condensation or whatever when cold, I suspected thermal shock got it.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 pm

That's a fair call.

Dann

bartmanftw
Fast Driver

Postby bartmanftw » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:56 am

NitroDann wrote:An intercooler which is not heat soaked is very good at keeping IAT within 10*c of ambient. Heat soak sensor readings are typically 20-30*c higher and therefor the IAT curve matching ideal gas law tapering to rich at the very high end is a good workaround in my opinion.

Dann

I agree, I'm just saying care should be taken if adjusting VE table based on data obtained when the air temperature is in the area where the density curve starts tapering towards rich. For example I adjusted my VE table from data I logged on the track on a ~40*C day and it caused me to lean out with cold air temperatures. My fault for doing that instead of adjusting the MAT density curve though.

Red_Bullet wrote:Here is another theory from Miata Turbo. It's to do with injector heatsoak. At 30 degrees C the injector compared to 100 degrees C. At 100 it takes 100uS longer to open than at 30 degrees C. This makes the actual deadtime longer hence cutting total fuel supply by around 10% at idle. Opening time increases because of the increased resistance of the injector coil. Apparently it goes from 15 ohms at 30C to 19 ohms at 100C.

This might explain at least some part of the hot start issues.

https://www.miataturbo.net/ecus-tuning-54/injector-current-trace-shows-slower-opening-when-hot-67534/

Would definitely have an effect at lower duty cycles such as idle where the dead times of an injector have a much greater effect on the fuel being injected.

Red_Bullet wrote:Maybe just try to ASE our way out of it, more fuel and longer taper maybe. No doubt though you've already tried that.

I think this is the best way of dealing with it as starting with coolant above 60-70 degrees almost guarantees you have some heat soak.

The air temperature reading can also be ignored during ASE but I think that is a pretty crap workaround since it will still be ignored during cold starts too. Perhaps allowing it to be ignored above a certain temperature would work better.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:20 am

Red_Bullet wrote:. I've already had a lambda sensor fail once. I put it down to sitting for long periods heated before starting the engine, condensation or whatever when cold, I suspected thermal shock got it.

I've actually wired my sensor to a switch specifically for this reason.

If I'm sitting in the car listening to radio etc without the engine running I can flick the switch and shut off the wideband so it doesn't heat.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Locutus
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Locutus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:53 am

It would be simpler to just rewire it to power on only when the key is in the "ON" position.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:21 am

Locutus wrote:It would be simpler to just rewire it to power on only when the key is in the "ON" position.

I agree mine is wired to ON not ACC.

I usually just start the car immediately, If I have any reason to leave it in the on position without it running (like doing a firmware upgrade) I just pull the dedicated lambda sensor fuse.

For a while I toyed with the idea of setting up an output to drive a relay to turn the lambda sensor on. Something along the lines of IF RPM>600 turn on.

But I couldn't be bothered. Sometimes simple is better.
Last edited by Red_Bullet on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:38 am

Discuss. (There is plenty on this on Miata Turbo for background info) https://www.miataturbo.net/megasquirt-18/what-does-your-mat-air-density-table-look-like-89026/

ImageBraineack style MAT Air Density Correction by [url=https://flic.kr/p/2455eD8]ImageBraineack style MAT Air Density Correction Temporary for VE tuning by [url=https://flic.kr/p/24miNrQ]ImageIdeal Gas Law MAT Air Density Correction by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/132829053@N08/

1. I've been persuaded to use the Braineack (Picture 1) style curve with good results, VEAL tuning is far more consistent. Also no risk of going lean when it matters at higher temps. I see the sense in VEAL tuning with picture 2 for consistent results.

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Whilst we are on the subject of the ideal place for the IAT. A lot of the stuff you guys are talking about is over my head however I do understand the possible issue with IAT heat soak.
Currently building a track only locost/clubman. For now I'm running the stock NB8A ECU.
After a bit of research and asking about positioning the IAT on the ozclubbies forum I was about drill into the rear/firewall end of the manifold/plenum and rubber grommet the OE ATS. I was concerned about heat soak but I was told it should be as close to the inlet runners as possible.

Thoughts?

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm

We cant be certain what the OEM ecu is doing with the info so you should put it in the factory location.

With an aftermarket ECU the sensor is typically used to increase fuel or decrease fuel by the same amount the air is getting thicker or thinner due to heat, so in that case you need it to read air temp entering the inlet manifold accurately.

The issue being discussed here is that screwing the sensor into a huge heat soakable item such as the inlet manifold will result in inaccurate readings.

Your car has an airflow meter which directly measures the amount of air entering the engine so no 'air is hot-thinner/air is cool-thicker' adjustment needs to be made. The fact that the ecu is measuring the sensor and that its in the intake air doesnt necessarily tell us what the factory ecu is doing with that info.

For example they may know that it heat soaks and are using it only to measure heat soak in the engine bay. They may take the air flow reading from the air flow meter to determine fueling and then use the air temp sensor to decrease ignition timing advance to protect from potential detonation 'just to be sure'. We simply do not know.

Dann

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Locutus wrote:It would be simpler to just rewire it to power on only when the key is in the "ON" position.

removing dashboard bits and unwrapping the ignition barrel loom/wires and finding a wire live at IGN, vs tap the cig lighter right next to the gauge.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Cheers ND for your response. I was reluctant to fit the Air Temp Sensor into the manifold due to heat soak. If it ends up in the wrong spot I't will be an easier fix if I fit into the 76mm ally tube just after pod filter for now. I'll do that.
Thanks again for your knowledge.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”