Clutch recommendations from SE/SP owners.

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Clutch recommendations from SE/SP owners.

Postby davekmoore » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

119,000 kms altogether on my SE. 174 rwkw for about 80,000 of those. Many track days and several sprints later (there, I've said it now so no-one will ever buy it from me. Oh shucks .... ) and the original factory clutch is still perfect. So that would be my recommendation, unless an uprated equally user-friendly one was available at less money, preferably with a lightened flywheel thrown in.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Hjt
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Hjt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 pm

So that would be my recommendation, unless an uprated equally user-friendly one was available at less money, preferably with a lightened flywheel thrown in.

Are you gentle on the drivetrain? Those figures are crazy for the OEM clutch. Nice effort

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby davekmoore » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 am

Hjt wrote:
So that would be my recommendation, unless an uprated equally user-friendly one was available at less money, preferably with a lightened flywheel thrown in.

Are you gentle on the drivetrain? Those figures are crazy for the OEM clutch. Nice effort

I have never replaced a clutch in 40 years of driving. It just seems to be a matter of letting them be engaged or not engaged and making the somewhere in between be for as short a time as possible.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Couldn't find a more recent thread, so reviving this one.

My standard SE clutch has clocked up about 102,000 ks and will be due for replacement soon. Currently running approx 130rwkw, but looking at bumping it up to about 165rwkw soon. Needs to be streetable, as it gets dríven on the road a couple of times a week, but also looking to do a few track days a year.

Recommendations?

bear2230
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby bear2230 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:47 pm

I still have the Exedy sports Tuff from Mania in Scooby going on 4 years now. 170rwkw and still feels better then stock.

Exedy cushion button clutch in Snowie but not nearly as nice to drive with. Thats the next step up for 200rwkw. Ask Dann though as well he likes the organic for that power and gets them for a real good price.

Richard.
Scooby - Silver SP - Build # 53
Snowie - White NB project car. Engineered and registered :)
Vader - Hilux & Gretel the black German Bitch

IanR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Turbo

Postby IanR » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:21 pm

I've got the exedy cushioned button here, 230rwkw. It's fine to drive anywhere, Steve at carters clutch machined the fly and gave me some shims after testing pressure plate numbers. In reverse its a bit of a pig but I actually prefer it to organic street clutches now because you know it's going to grab in a short zone of pedal travel. I don't have any shudder except in reverse if I try to slip it. It doesn't cost much either compared to the other options for the bigger hp cars.
Hope this helps.

Apu
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Apu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:11 pm

I use the Exedy button clutch and don't see what the big deal is. It's barely heavier than stock and there's only a minor shudder when reversing. It's a little bit on/off when moving off but that's equally due to the lightened flywheel.

It's marginally more touchy but the difference is not night and day.

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks Guys. I'll probably go with either the Exedy Sports Tuff Heavy Duty or Stage 1 Sports Organic.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”