Modifying an SE

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Modifying an SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:48 am

I just wanted an SE :mrgreen:

Now in hindsight I can definitely see the advantages of buying a stock car and turboing it. Spend once, get a big turbo from the get go, no need to replace anything as it's all fresh to the car. End up with more power for less cost (if you do it right).

But this car is my one and only, I need it every day for work. I couldn't have bought a stock car and had it laid up for a couple of months to build. With the SE, most mods are quick bolt ons, can be done in a day or over the weekend, in your garage with only basic tools. The exception being getting an ECU installed and tuned, and if you're keen even that is manageable thanks to the likes of Adaptronic and Megasquirt.

Of course, if you want to build the engine and upgrade the turbo you're looking at a bigger job, most likely at a mechanic's, the above is simply to get the most out of the stock motor and turbo.

Also, it's easier to slip the expenses past the gate keeper in bits and peices, rather than one all out job. :beer:

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:42 am

KevGoat wrote:Ummm, Lokiel ... bit slow tonight (nothing to do with the Wine of course) ... but didn't understand the cookies reference??
:k

... it's a running internet joke, Google "dark side cookies" and select the "Images" button:

Also, since Okibi has a black SE, I wonder if we should be calling him "Lord Vader"?
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:19 am

... all my Internet time & I'd never seen that phrase before :shock:

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:06 pm

KevGoat wrote:... all my Internet time & I'd never seen that phrase before :shock:

Believe it or not, there's stuff on the internet other than P O R N :P
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:42 pm

Lokiel wrote:
KevGoat wrote:... all my Internet time & I'd never seen that phrase before :shock:

You just stick to your dark side cookies and quit looking at mine :mrgreen:

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Lokiel wrote:

Nope, checked all my bookmarks and there's only pron sites and MX5 forums (same thing really)....... :mrgreen:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Danny
Fast Driver

Postby Danny » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:32 pm

NitroDann wrote:Yeah they have a bit of factory rice, different shocks and springs and badges and seat coverings too.

Dann

When I decided on the SE I understood it had the following (correct me if I'm wrong) on top of being turboed:

Biggest brakes
Best and strongest version of the non VVT motors (less fragile and better to boost?)
Stiffest shell with the most brackets, braces and other body stiffening bits of all the gen 1 and 2 models
Strongest gearbox
Bigger tailshaft
LSD (torsen) diff of later stronger type
Bilstein developed shocks, springs and sway bars to make it the best sorted oem suspension
Luxury kit with Bose front and rear sound, leather and other trim bits

Mates with Porsches, Lotus and even Fazzes have been amazed with how quick and easy it is to drive. A couple are even contemplating getting one.

Get an SE, spend $3-5k at MANIA and not much short of a powerful Elise or Exige will be more exciting on a winding road.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Danny wrote:
NitroDann wrote:Yeah they have a bit of factory rice, different shocks and springs and badges and seat coverings too.

Dann

When I decided on the SE I understood it had the following (correct me if I'm wrong) on top of being turboed:

Biggest brakes Same as every other late NB
Best and strongest version of the non VVT motors (less fragile and better to boost?) Its just any non VVT NB engine
Stiffest shell with the most brackets, braces and other body stiffening bits of all the gen 1 and 2 models Heaviest body ever
Strongest gearbox Same as all other late NB
Bigger tailshaft Heavier, irrelevant strength no one ever breaks them ever
LSD (torsen) diff of later stronger type Same as above, non consequential, no one ever breaks them, and its ratio is absolutely horrific for any SE with stock turbo system no matter how modified
Bilstein developed shocks, springs and sway bars to make it the best sorted oem suspension Possibly, however sways and coils are under 2000 and anyone who is genuinely concerned about how good the car handles will never keep the mediocre stock setup, and none of that cancels the weight and extremely heavy wheels
Luxury kit with Bose front and rear sound, leather and other trim bits Yep the intrerior looks different and has 100 dollar spoeakers instead of 30 dollar ones.

Mates with Porsches, Lotus and even Fazzes have been amazed with how quick and easy it is to drive. A couple are even contemplating getting one.

Get an SE, spend $3-5k at MANIA and not much short of a powerful Elise or Exige will be more exciting on a winding road.

It will still always be hopeless compared to an equal priced afternarket turbocharged mx5. So completely hopeless that its almost laughable. Including driveability, torque, everything not just outright performance, but of course, that too.
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

bear2230
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby bear2230 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:18 pm

Hahaha, Dann you've been really quiet of late and the turbo section has suffered because of it.
That was just pure gold. It made me crack up. Karen (wifey) thinks I'm an idiot. :D :D
Scooby - Silver SP - Build # 53
Snowie - White NB project car. Engineered and registered :)
Vader - Hilux & Gretel the black German Bitch

emily_mx5
Racing Driver

Postby emily_mx5 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Lol Dann I'm going to rebut that so hard when I get home.

The list also needs to read "Factory Mod Plate" meaning no engineering and insurance is all good. That was 95% the reason I bought my SE (the other 5% was the leather seats ooft)

Dre
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dre » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Almost went to test drive the black turbo nb but I had a think about all the problems I've had with my turbo cars and bought a 2013 demonstrator from Melbourne. I'm flying down to pick it up tomorrow.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Neither a turbo NBor a worth owning se will actually be properly legal without engineering, however you will get a way with an illegal Se much easier.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:55 pm

NitroDann wrote:Biggest brakes Same as every other late NB True, but still the biggest of any NB. :wink:
Best and strongest version of the non VVT motors (less fragile and better to boost?) Its just any non VVT NB engine Well it actually has a lower compression ratio for the turbo and a sump made of unobtanium!
Stiffest shell with the most brackets, braces and other body stiffening bits of all the gen 1 and 2 models Heaviest body ever Because of all the extra bracing, yes.... the butterfly brace is a bit silly and heavy.....
Strongest gearbox Same as all other late NB Actually still an ongoing point of contention.
Bigger tailshaft Heavier, irrelevant strength no one ever breaks them ever ..... never break because they're bigger? :|
LSD (torsen) diff of later stronger type Same as above, non consequential, no one ever breaks them, and its ratio is absolutely horrific for any SE with stock turbo system no matter how modified Actually the standard NB doesn't get the LSD, better/stronger drive shafts can't be bad (only found on the SE, BTW), esspecially with an LSD, ratio is great except for a dedicated track car.
Bilstein developed shocks, springs and sway bars to make it the best sorted oem suspension Possibly, however sways and coils are under 2000 and anyone who is genuinely concerned about how good the car handles will never keep the mediocre stock setup, and none of that cancels the weight and extremely heavy wheels Wheels are actually quite light for a 17" but yes the stock suspension is far from ideal and should be replaced.Stock sways are larger than the standard car and generally can be left in place rather needing replacement.
Luxury kit with Bose front and rear sound, leather and other trim bits Yep the intrerior looks different and has 100 dollar spoeakers instead of 30 dollar ones. Actually the AU version didn't get the Bose crap sound system, a lot of other nice leather bits in the interior the standard car didn't get, let alone the extra body trim panels.

It will still always be hopeless compared to an equal priced afternarket turbocharged mx5. So completely hopeless that its almost laughable. Including driveability, torque, everything not just outright performance, but of course, that too.
You forgot the IMHO mate. :wink:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:25 pm

Its not my opinion its all fact.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”