Post your turbo / supercharged setup

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Post your turbo / supercharged setup

Postby smy0003 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Wow! More power than an SS Commodore and you wouldn't suspect a thing front the outside.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

Daffy
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Daffy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:05 am

Cheers smy0003. The sleeper exterior is only given away by hood vents and exhaust note for now, but I will be changing the racingheart rims for most likely avanti storm 15x8 and sticky rubber. The current bridgestone re002's on 17x7's cant hold the traction anymore, not that its a bad thing! A cage/hoops will take a little more away from the sleeper look as well a bit later down the line.
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

IanR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Turbo

Postby IanR » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:14 am

Thanks for sharing your setup (finally), Love it! Plenty of questions...but just on the bonnet vent position, what made you put them there as opposed to between the rad and block?

Juicy HiC
Fast Driver

Postby Juicy HiC » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:16 pm

That is one seriously fast SE. Great read.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:31 pm

Hey IanR,
RE the vent position, I checked a few vents available on line before deciding on what to buy. The under bonnet temps were getting up there, so the vent’s purpose was to get the heat out from the engine bay.
I already had heaps of airflow coming in after removing the engine bay plastic tray guard. We also angled the rad, tilting the bottom of it back a few degrees to get more air to it, due to the size of the intercooler.
looking on line at a few pics and measurements of the under bonnet pressure spots, I needed to find a compromise of good placing to extract the hot air, as well as keeping the integrity of the bonnet strong by not cutting into the more solid bracings.
The resulting end placement does what its meant to do pretty well, as well as keeping some style and strength to it.
Some of the vents I seen for sale on line looked pretty full on, making the bonnet look like the power head of a bagless vacuum cleaner and was well and truly not in tune with the sleeper look, others looked cheap, like riveted roof grates off a 1930’s black brick house!
The vents I got were $100 for the pair from Ernicks Fiberglass, Taren Point NSW.
cheers. (ps thanks Juicy HiC, quick she is!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:59 pm

http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:01 am

^lolololol

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
plohl

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:09 am

Daffy, looks great!
What sort of temps were you seeing in the engine bay before and after the vents?

Richard, had dinner on rocky point road a few weeks back. My wife says there's an mx5 with a bonnet scoop. I turn to look and it was you! I said that's Richard and it's a vent not a scoop. Lol
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

IanR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Turbo

Postby IanR » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:28 pm

Thanks Daffy, keep us posted how you go with airflow and cooling system function. Ive got some vents of my own coming up shortly, if you dont mind Ill quote your "like riveted roof grates off a 1930’s black brick house!" when taking questions too, cheers.

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Hey speed,
Cant say for sure what the temp numbers were pre vents as well as running the e85 (80 - 90 degrees? assuming only) The best way I gauged how hot it was went more off how red and sweaty mechanic Darren's brow was, how bad he singed his fingers, and if he was using either s**t, f**k or c**t words when he was rooting around under bonnet after the engine had been running a while!
The under bonnet temps are better about 10-15% perhaps? especially the vent over the turbo side). Its currently a case of give it a go and see what happens, (NitroDann I'm sure I have at least one or 2 more cases of worm cans in the pantry to get through!!).
Seriously though, Im always receptive and respective of feedback from the wise who have been there, done that and know much more than me.
The problem child is my 1st turbo vehicle, after only ever playing with N/A powered v8's and big 6's in the late 80's and early 90's- (gen y's, thats when seizure inducing strobe lights were a tuners best mate :shock: ), so any thoughts and opinions are very welcome and genuinely appreciated.

Standing on the side line Monday morning when the results are in aren't anywhere near as interesting or fun as getting in there, having a go and either f*****g up royally on game day or coming away with a win and a story to tell!
(will keep you posted IanR, and feel free to quote away mate!!)

viewtopic.php?t=73496

bear2230
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby bear2230 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:11 am

speed wrote:Daffy, looks great!
What sort of temps were you seeing in the engine bay before and after the vents?

Richard, had dinner on rocky point road a few weeks back. My wife says there's an mx5 with a bonnet scoop. I turn to look and it was you! I said that's Richard and it's a vent not a scoop. Lol

Hahaha....On the way home from work. Hoping I was driving sensibly :D :D .
Scooby - Silver SP - Build # 53
Snowie - White NB project car. Engineered and registered :)
Vader - Hilux & Gretel the black German Bitch

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sun May 15, 2016 8:45 pm

IanR wrote:Thanks Daffy, keep us posted how you go with airflow and cooling system function. Ive got some vents of my own coming up shortly, if you dont mind Ill quote your "like riveted roof grates off a 1930’s black brick house!" when taking questions too, cheers.

So far so good buddy, under bonnet temps are stable and the cooling even with the stock rad are good. The turbo side vent works so well you can use it to blow up balloons when the engine is running!!

viewtopic.php?t=73496

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby davekmoore » Mon May 16, 2016 3:08 am

NitroDann made this happen:

Dyno kW.jpg

Dyno HP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Mon May 16, 2016 5:46 am

davekmoore wrote:NitroDann made this happen:

Dyno kW.jpg
Dyno HP.jpg

I'm lovin' it!! I caught the youtube clip where he explains not just explains his tuning but reasoning as well, brilliant :D

viewtopic.php?t=73496

CAR53
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Chasing 400HP

Postby CAR53 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:49 am

Chasing 400HP

the starting point - last years plot

Pipe Dreams

JOHN TOOMER
NC 2.5L HKS GT7040 Supercharger
LAKESIDE 1:01 QR CLUBMAN 1:01.69