MX5 supercharger kit information

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

Sailor
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: MX5 supercharger kit information

Postby Sailor » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Just got this email after an enquiry last week to Daniel at Deckspeed

Think there might be a queue forming

Hi,

Do you want you superchargers fitted, our engineer approved our install for legal rego in NSW today.

Michael (Hall)

Now for the details...will I need t install my OEM header or can I fit one of the new Roadster sport ones with the cat?
Rob

05 NCLE, Cosworth SC,PF01,Ohlins,Selby,GWR exh
"We're only given a tiny spark of madness.We mustn't lose it"(Robin Williams)

neilhr
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC - Supercharged

Postby neilhr » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Sailor wrote:Just got this email after an enquiry last week to Daniel at Deckspeed

Think there might be a queue forming

Hi,

Do you want you superchargers fitted, our engineer approved our install for legal rego in NSW today.

Michael (Hall)

Now for the details...will I need t install my OEM header or can I fit one of the new Roadster sport ones with the cat?

Hey Sailor, we will know more information in the next coming days. Tim's car is getting emission test soon.

Sailor
Racing Driver

Postby Sailor » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks,
I was going to ring Daniel next week to check a few details.
I'll hang off till we get more info.
Rob

05 NCLE, Cosworth SC,PF01,Ohlins,Selby,GWR exh
"We're only given a tiny spark of madness.We mustn't lose it"(Robin Williams)

Regie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC - V8

Postby Regie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Very very impressed with the power delivery of the supercharge in Neil's car...

Time to organise a trip to the states and pick one up. Working for qantas, would be cheaper for me to pick it up than get it posted :D ...oh and squeeze aholiday in also
MY07 NC, Mazdaspeed Body, Ohlins, Full GWR Exhaust, 17x9 RPF1's, 4.1FGR and lots lots more

kris
Fast Driver

Postby kris » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:11 am

so you are going to supercharge regie?!?!
you're already quick enough........

Regie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC - V8

Postby Regie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:31 am

kris wrote:so you are going to supercharge regie?!?!
you're already quick enough........

I still got some other thing to do to the car to being my lap times down. When that is done there is only one other option :D
MY07 NC, Mazdaspeed Body, Ohlins, Full GWR Exhaust, 17x9 RPF1's, 4.1FGR and lots lots more

Robert
Fast Driver

Postby Robert » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Tim, kindly gave me a drive of his NC, it had its stock exhaust system setup back on. It was still very willing to pull thru the revs giving fantastic power . Tim said that the exhaust did make difference .
NC 2 Metro Grey
always searching for the god shot

Mychael
Learner Driver

Postby Mychael » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:19 am

Okay so a guy from the "older generation" :cry: . In my 50's so I guess I qualify.
What would be a good entry level blower kit I could get fitted here in Victoria?

Happy to upgrade clutch and radiator & controller but don't want to be de-compressing the motor or otherwise mucking around with it's internals (this is for a NC btw).

Want to keep factory drivability/tractibility and most importantly durability/reliability.
In terms of performance I just want a little more squirt up through the gears and climbing hills. No need for increased top speed or big dyno figures.

Thinking maybe 4.5-5 psi boost would be safe on stock engine. Thoughts?

Like to keep engine access as easy as possible, I used to own a turbocharged Nissan Micra with T24 and top mounted intercooler, went very well but engine access for even basic stuff like checking oil was a pita.

If I recall there was a guy named Hans Pederson down here in Ringwood Victoria that did Supercharger units, anyone know about him? Otherwise any recommendations for reliable shops please.

Thanks.

neilhr
Fast Driver

Postby neilhr » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:12 am

Been there, done that - with a NC :)
With regards to a NC, the costs are very high (my car totaling $10k or more) and I had spent months on my car to get it complete.
With that said the extra power is absolutely fantastic! It has a great balance of power and handling. The power is smooth and instant. Over-taking and hills are now effortless. 8-10psi is fine for the stock engine internals.

I am currently selling my supercharged NC for travel. Yourself or any other drivers thinking about this should seriously consider my car. Everything has been done for you to enjoy! It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier. All the work has been done professionally and a lot of guys on the forum can vouch for my car. It is currently $28,500 and I am negotiable on the price as I'd like it moved sooner rather than later.

Visit:
On CarSales.com.au
On the Forum

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Mychael wrote:What would be a good entry level blower kit I could get fitted here in Victoria?

If you want it to be legal in Victoria, then you'll need to satisfy the EPA in relation to the ECU:
EPA modified vehicle guidelines:
http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publ ... enDocument

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publ ... E/1031.pdf

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Mychael wrote:Okay so a guy from the "older generation" :cry: . In my 50's so I guess I qualify.
What would be a good entry level blower kit I could get fitted here in Victoria?

Happy to upgrade clutch and radiator & controller but don't want to be de-compressing the motor or otherwise mucking around with it's internals (this is for a NC btw).

Want to keep factory drivability/tractibility and most importantly durability/reliability.
In terms of performance I just want a little more squirt up through the gears and climbing hills. No need for increased top speed or big dyno figures.

Thinking maybe 4.5-5 psi boost would be safe on stock engine. Thoughts?

Like to keep engine access as easy as possible, I used to own a turbocharged Nissan Micra with T24 and top mounted intercooler, went very well but engine access for even basic stuff like checking oil was a pita.

If I recall there was a guy named Hans Pederson down here in Ringwood Victoria that did Supercharger units, anyone know about him? Otherwise any recommendations for reliable shops please.

Thanks.

FFS is a no hassles plug and play system from US. There are criticisms from the performance junkies that you only get 200 rwhp from it for the money you pay. Advantages is an easy bolt in and if you want to sell bolt out affair. You would not lose too much money selling secondhand.

I can't see too many problems getting it legal as it is designed for use in California which has the strictest emissions testing in the world.

I should have bitten the bullet when they were $3999 but it takes me years to make a car mod decision. :oops:
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:27 pm

bootz wrote:I can't see too many problems getting it legal as it is designed for use in California which has the strictest emissions testing in the world.

Elsewhere sure, but Victorian EPA doesn't allow any changes to ECU.

Novice1
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Novice1 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Just wondering if there is any consensus on which unit creates the most power, torque.

Novice1

bear2230
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby bear2230 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Here is the answer to all the supercharger questions for a NC.

BBR Baby. Its the only way to go :lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=61948
Scooby - Silver SP - Build # 53
Snowie - White NB project car. Engineered and registered :)
Vader - Hilux & Gretel the black German Bitch

angrykoala
Learner Driver

Postby angrykoala » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Greg at Parsons Motors Dural has done an awesome job installing the Krankwerks Rotrex kit on my 2007 NC

Now need it tuned - just mainly for road use

Who would you recommend in Sydney?

Grant

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”