MX5 supercharger kit information

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

Novice1
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Re: MX5 supercharger kit information

Postby Novice1 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:40 am

angrykoala wrote:Greg at Parsons Motors Dural has done an awesome job installing the Krankwerks Rotrex kit on my 2007 NC

Now need it tuned - just mainly for road use

Who would you recommend in Sydney?

Grant

Willbe very interested to see dyno results power, torque at what psi.

Novice1

CAR53
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby CAR53 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:17 pm

image.jpg

The 300 WHP milestone on the Automotive Plus kit.

Still sorting some clutch and belt slip issues but going well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JOHN TOOMER
NC 2.5L HKS GT7040 Supercharger
LAKESIDE 1:01 QR CLUBMAN 1:01.69

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:44 am

How does one correct belt slip other than alignment and tightness or is that what you meant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:45 am

Oh and congrats on 300 atw, very impressive :)

CAR53
Fast Driver

Postby CAR53 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:48 am

Increase the friction of the surface of the SC pulley by application of a special coating.
JOHN TOOMER

angrykoala
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC - Supercharged

Postby angrykoala » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:17 am

Car is going great and very user friendly.

Daniel from Deckspeed Racing did a great job on the tune. Achieved 165kW (221 hp) at 7.6 psi

Would like to move the air intake as it sucks in hot air once the fan kicks in. Daniel suggested was losing about 10kW because of this. Any idea about how to get the air intake to cool air?

This would also I hope fix the other small annoyance, which is the rasping air bypass noise coming back up through the air filter on very low throttle when cruising. Is easily drowned out by radio, but it is there.

Grant

1-IMG_5693.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

powerup
Learner Driver

Postby powerup » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:21 pm

CAR53 wrote:Increase the friction of the surface of the SC pulley by application of a special coating.

Good luck with that :) whoever gave you that advice is not worth listening to.
That special coating is designed for V belt applications and will only serve to degrade your belt even faster by clogging it up with dirt and grim eventually filling the small groves in your serpentine belt reducing your surface area.

I am guessing you are running a static belt tensioner with the belt running the factory route over the water pump last before returning to the crank pulley (this location is where the most slip will be generated.)

I am no expert I found all this out through trial and error and research (and some help from my engineer friends) When designing a a belt route I am told that you need to have the highest load at the first point of the belt route.

So there is a solution. Get rid of the Kluge tensioning system you are currently running and relocate the factory tensioner add another pulley re-routing the belt over the water pump pulley first this will not change the direction of any of the components, but it will reduce the amount of slip on the water pump by increasing belt wrap reducing belt length to and from the pulley etc.
This is very easy to do inexpensive (and correct) and guaranteed to fix your problem.

How do I know. I had the exact problem and it worked. I can show you dyno charts and the static tensioner we tried but not only that I can show you the finished product with no belt slip and strong reliable boost.

Sorry this sounds aggressive I am just super over bad advice being thrown around on forums and people being taken advantage of by quite frankly, people who should know better.

orx626
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NC - Rotary

Postby orx626 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:27 pm

powerup wrote:Sorry this sounds aggressive I am just super over bad advice being thrown around on forums and people being taken advantage of by quite frankly, people who should know better.

Who is this directed at powerup?

Regie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC - V8

Postby Regie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:42 pm

powerup wrote:Sorry this sounds aggressive I am just super over bad advice being thrown around on forums and people being taken advantage of by quite frankly, people who should know better.

Interesting sentence there. The person who designed the kit that John is running is a very highly regarded engineer, He knows his sh!t
MY07 NC, Mazdaspeed Body, Ohlins, Full GWR Exhaust, 17x9 RPF1's, 4.1FGR and lots lots more

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:43 pm

powerup wrote:
CAR53 wrote:Increase the friction of the surface of the SC pulley by application of a special coating.

That special coating is designed for V belt applications and will only serve to degrade your belt even faster by clogging it up with dirt and grim eventually filling the small groves in your serpentine belt reducing your surface area.

I am guessing you are running a static belt tensioner with the belt running the factory route over the water pump last before returning to the crank pulley (this location is where the most slip will be generated.)

I am no expert I found all this out through trial and error and research (and some help from my engineer friends) When designing a a belt route I am told that you need to have the highest load at the first point of the belt route.

So there is a solution. Get rid of the Kluge tensioning system you are currently running and relocate the factory tensioner add another pulley re-routing the belt over the water pump pulley first this will not change the direction of any of the components, but it will reduce the amount of slip on the water pump by increasing belt wrap reducing belt length to and from the pulley etc.
This is very easy to do inexpensive (and correct) and guaranteed to fix your problem.

How do I know. I had the exact problem and it worked. I can show you dyno charts and the static tensioner we tried but not only that I can show you the finished product with no belt slip and strong reliable boost.

Sorry this sounds aggressive I am just super over bad advice being thrown around on forums and people being taken advantage of by quite frankly, people who should know better.

I'm grateful for your post :)

powerup
Learner Driver

Postby powerup » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:25 pm

orx626 wrote:

Who is this directed at powerup?

Just to clarify that post was not directed at anyone in particular.

like I said I have just dealt with a very similar issue with my own car and was given advice from MANY people on MANY forums (not just internet forums) and I know what it is like to be given advice on something and cost me time and money to find out its incorrect costing me more money to fix it. I am only speaking from my own experience not anyone else's or a story I heard (unlike a lot of people do) and offering a solution to his problem.

It was mainly directed at the spray on solution suggester. However I was not particularly picking on the kit he has if its the kit I assume it is it is very well engineered.but I am sure if you run what I said by the engineer that designed it (more politely please) he would agree that it would be an improvement to his design.

But if people want to get their knickers in a knot and the shoe fits feel free to lace that bitch up. I really don't care.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:56 pm

I'm sure Danny does not need me to fight his battles but, Automotive Plus designed CAR53's superecharger. Powerup are you aware of who owns Automotive Plus and ADE? Whilst I could not say that I know intimately the owner of Car53 I can guarantee that he would not leave his car in the hands of somebody who uses the internet as their source of information.

maxgus
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Supercharged

Postby maxgus » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:02 pm

I can vouch for powerups set up as I was there every step of the way as we tried everything including the static tensioner option with the belt running the standard oem way!

Oh and by the way I must have not read the part where he directly pointed the finger at anyone in particular but was offering advice to another forum member after going through the ordeal himself. Like he said a lot of garbage and mis information gets handed around.
Last edited by maxgus on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feather weight

angrykoala
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC - Supercharged

Postby angrykoala » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:04 pm

It is tough when there are just not much information out there for a newish kit installation.

Forums and email often cause issues with interpretation that would not happen in a person to person physical conversation where context, body language and tone account for probably over half the meaning...

Interesting on our build was I didn't know the install would be such a huge effort. One the biggest efforts was just changing the fuel pump. Half the car had to be pulled apart...

Grant

1-image3.jpg

1-image4.jpg

CAR53
Fast Driver

Postby CAR53 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:19 pm

speed wrote:
powerup wrote:

I'm grateful for your post :)

Could you explain why you think that a hard anodized high coefficient of friction coating on the water pump pulley to which the SC is attached "will only serve to degrade your belt even faster by clogging it up with dirt and grim eventually filling the small groves in your serpentine belt reducing your surface area."
JOHN TOOMER

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”