MX5 supercharger kit information

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

orx626
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NC - Rotary

Re: MX5 supercharger kit information

Postby orx626 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:40 pm

powerup wrote:Just to clarify that post was not directed at anyone in particular.

Then why even say it then? It didn't add anything to your supercharger drive belt slip reduction advice, other than permit forum users to assume that it was directed at the designer and that they had offered bad advice. This was confirmed by Regie's and Magpie's reactions. Hence the reason I asked for clarification. Thanks for confirming that it wasn't directed at the GT Plus kit designer.

FWIW, CAR53's supercharger arrangement is not the off-the-shelf GT Plus kit. It is a one-off version of the GT Plus kit modified to the owners specifications. Automotive Plus has had relatively limited post installation involvement as the vehicle owner is managing the tuning and testing program (Automotive Plus assist when requested), unlike the GT Plus kit which had over 3 years of tuning and testing (including numerous track events). That R&D program yielded a very robust product that doesn't have the belt slip problem that you have had to resolve with your supercharger kit.

Regards,
Danny

powerup
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby powerup » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Could you explain why you think that a hard anodized high coefficient of friction coating on the water pump pulley to which the SC is attached "will only serve to degrade your belt even faster by clogging it up with dirt and grim eventually filling the small groves in your serpentine belt reducing your surface area."[/quote]

I made an assumption that you were going to use a spray on coating. My bad. (this will lead to the issues I explained.)

However even a "hard anodised coating" will wear out eventually and or rapidly wear the belt etc therefore only band aiding the problem.

But I am out. I am not going to justify myself on a forum anymore. I thought I would just give advice based on my experience trying to save you the trouble. I have already made too many assumptions.

This is why I hate forums and why I shouldn't use them.

CAR53
Fast Driver

Postby CAR53 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:06 pm

orx626 wrote:
powerup wrote:Just to clarify that post was not directed at anyone in particular.

Then why even say it then? It didn't add anything to your supercharger drive belt slip reduction advice, other than permit forum users to assume that it was directed at the designer and that they had offered bad advice. This was confirmed by Regie's and Magpie's reactions. Hence the reason I asked for clarification. Thanks for confirming that it wasn't directed at the GT Plus kit designer.

FWIW, CAR53's supercharger arrangement is not the off-the-shelf GT Plus kit. It is a one-off version of the GT Plus kit modified to the owners specifications. Automotive Plus has had relatively limited post installation involvement as the vehicle owner is managing the tuning and testing program (Automotive Plus assist when requested), unlike the GT Plus kit which had over 3 years of tuning and testing (including numerous track events). That R&D program yielded a very robust product that doesn't have the belt slip problem that you have had to resolve with your supercharger kit.

Regards,
Danny

I fully concur with Danny's view. I am going down a one-off development path using bits of his GT Plus kit. Any of the issues I share on this forum are for the interest of the members in my experimental development and it would be completely inappropriate to associated any of these issues with the GT plus kit. For the record the SC belt slip experienced during the last dyno session was due to my not checking the setup after re-installing the power steering which I had deleted and not due to any deficiencies in the GT plus kit design. In fact the problem was fixed in a few seconds with a spanner. The main slip problem during the session was with the clutch which I am upgrading.

As to the issue of the coating, this is a precaution being applied to the next stage which is a smaller SC pulley.

Also for the record I am fully aware of the dynamics of the serpentine belt drive and the significance of the position of the SC pulley in the run on slip.
JOHN TOOMER
NC 2.5L HKS GT7040 Supercharger
LAKESIDE 1:01 QR CLUBMAN 1:01.69

CAR53
Fast Driver

Postby CAR53 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:40 pm

powerup wrote:Could you explain why you think that a hard anodized high coefficient of friction coating on the water pump pulley to which the SC is attached "will only serve to degrade your belt even faster by clogging it up with dirt and grim eventually filling the small groves in your serpentine belt reducing your surface area."

I made an assumption that you were going to use a spray on coating. My bad. (this will lead to the issues I explained.)

However even a "hard anodized coating" will wear out eventually and or rapidly wear the belt etc therefore only band aiding the problem.

But I am out. I am not going to justify myself on a forum anymore. I thought I would just give advice based on my experience trying to save you the trouble. I have already made too many assumptions.

This is why I hate forums and why I shouldn't use them.

For mass and metal compatibility reasons the SC pulley is an aluminum alloy. Steel is preferred in these situations as the softer alloy is prone to wear and polishing by the belt especially when pushing the SC to its design limits and beyond. The "hard anodized coating" redresses much of this compromise and small increases in the friction coefficient is equivalent to large increases in wrap. Yes the coating will wear out eventually but so will I and other limited life components.
JOHN TOOMER
NC 2.5L HKS GT7040 Supercharger
LAKESIDE 1:01 QR CLUBMAN 1:01.69

Baldric1600
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Baldric1600 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Ok, this looks like a hornets nest on browsing but I'd just like some straight up info (because i'm too lazy to search for it). I have an m65? maybe 45 eaton supercharger from a mercedes i'd like to fit to my na6. It's a long term project, year or two. From some research I see the best process is to obviously and in my mind order, upgrade brakes (nb8a on front atm will go dba rotors etc) upgrade suspension (tired konis and kings, not sure where i'll go there), heavy duty clutch, new gearbox, then an ecu (maybe adaptronic, get it all sorted before fitting sc). So, my real query is, is there anyone out there with a kit/patterns for assembling the mounts pulleys etc? I have a machinist available who can whip this up (he's my uncle and an automotive engineer, very old school, currently developing disc brakes for early landrovers (and they work pm me if you'd like to know billeted assembly and shite)). So I trust him implicitly. I guess what I'm after is patterns, i have the method maybe as you can see above. But I want the bits that connect the sc, can manufacture. Any advice on this? (apologies if this is not the right forum, please move if so)
learning the hard way

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Thu May 21, 2015 9:51 am

T R Lane in the UK sell brackets to mount a MP45.

There is not much to the engine bracket itself and could easily be made in a shed.

I found it more difficult to fit my air box where I wanted then I did mounting the SC.
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:09 am

AnSmith wrote:-------------------
i want a track day car (I used to have one) and I want it to be well balanced, rwd and have some power to it... I was just looking at options... I love the MX5 and the way it handles but it could do with a little more juice. :oops:

Do it. It's like having a bigger engine without the weight. :)
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

Zekesil
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Zekesil » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 am

Sorry for old thread bump haha, I am going to run a dummy throttle body on my nb8a m45 set up, are people just buying factory throttle bodies and blocking off all ports? Struggling a bit to find clear info,
Thanks

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:50 pm

The JRSC M45 kit included their own dummy TB, so most people initially used those. But some have also used a blanked off OEM TB as a dummy when they've put their own M45 kit together: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=567135
&
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=6524
Of course some have also gone the dual TB route if fitting an IC: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=394583

rowdytoot
Driver

Postby rowdytoot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:11 am

Since we're here, has anyone used the bullet superchargers kit?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am

Don't know if any of the following Rotrex kits were specifically sourced from Bullet, but there are/have been a few running the Rotrex: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=69460
& search.php?keywords=rotrex&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=0&t=0&submit=Search

rowdytoot
Driver

Postby rowdytoot » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:22 pm

93_Clubman wrote:Don't know if any of the following Rotrex kits were specifically sourced from Bullet, but there are/have been a few running the Rotrex: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=69460
& search.php?keywords=rotrex&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=0&t=0&submit=Search
Thanks have checked those out.

Currently thinking of importing a track dog racing kit, as I think the bracket and intercooler design is better.. . That is, if they respond to my enquiry.

I'm sure dann will be along shortly to talk me out of it...

rowdytoot
Driver

Postby rowdytoot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 pm

rowdytoot wrote:
93_Clubman wrote:Don't know if any of the following Rotrex kits were specifically sourced from Bullet, but there are/have been a few running the Rotrex: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=69460
Thanks have checked those out.

Currently thinking of importing a track dog racing kit, as I think the bracket and intercooler design is better.. . That is, if they respond to my enquiry.

I'm sure dann will be along shortly to talk me out of it...

Got a great response from Gary at Trackdogracing overnight. Looks to be around 7 k aud plus shippin, gst and duty. Not including engine management as I'd go standalone with a haltech etc.

So all up probably 11k tuned and on the road with a clutch etc

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:59 pm

Labour cost?

rowdytoot
Driver

Postby rowdytoot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:08 pm

bruce wrote:Labour cost?
I'd install myself cos I enjoy that kind of thing,and then get the ecu and final wiring install done.

Or I could get one of danns drive in and out turbo packages.....

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”