NC: Who here is interested in a NC RHD Turbo Kit???

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Re: NC: Who here is interested in a NC RHD Turbo Kit???

Postby NitroDann » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Now its ready and ive dríven it, it's slow too.

"My Twistmount Nb would hose this poor thing" (owner of turbo NC).

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 pm

I haven't heard of any others catching fire, are you sure they were fitted properly as carbon shouldn't catch fire on it's own. BBR have been doing Mazda supported turbo mods for twenty years so I'm surprised you think the quality is poor and from what I've seen on the UK forums they've done several hundred NC conversions.
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:05 pm

You have to take everything said here with a grain of salt (just as you do with anything said on the internutz).

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:04 am

Custardtart wrote:I haven't heard of any others catching fire, are you sure they were fitted properly as carbon shouldn't catch fire on it's own. BBR have been doing Mazda supported turbo mods for twenty years so I'm surprised you think the quality is poor and from what I've seen on the UK forums they've done several hundred NC conversions.

I'm assuming you were commenting on my comments and not Dann's, but where did I say the kit is of poor quality?
All looks good from my brief look under the bonnet at the track except for the cheapo looking OEM style hose clamps. There are far better ones available for boosted applications.
I'm sure Dann could comment further as he has obviously had more time to look at the one he is working on.

I was at the track when the fire happened. In fact I was in the same session and watched it smoke up as I went past. The Carbon Fibre caught fire. Have a look at the BBR website, the shield bolts to the Turbo itself which would create direct heat transfer which does not sound like a very good idea to me. I don't see how you can install a heat shield wrong. It would have pre-fabricated holes and can only go one way.
I have talked to the owner of the other car as well that had it burn on the dyno. The car is now running, but no more carbon fibre shield. The turbo is blanketed instead so has not caught fire on track.
I will tell you one thing, BBR of course had an answer to the fire from what I have been told by both owners. Apparently if you are going on track you should have upgraded to the track version of the kit which costs a few more $$$ again which neither owner knew about. 2 changes are the heat shield is made of Carbon Kevlar the other is the Turbocharger has better bearings and materials as well. When I go on their website I don't even see either option listed.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Heatshields caught fire, oil lines are ali baba spec leaky garbage (yes the ones on your 800c turbocharger). Turbo is too small. Kit is hard to work on.
Flash tune is inadequate, car starts and runs cold poorly and the kit doesnt really perform like it should it's just a bit disappointing. It needs a bigger better turbo and a real ecu, in my opinion.

Dann

d-mag
Road Track Rally
Vehicle: ND - Turbo

Postby d-mag » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:16 pm

In. Where do I sign up?
MX5 Wanted. SE or NC (forced induction preferred :twisted: )

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:26 pm

NitroDann wrote:Heatshields caught fire, oil lines are ali baba spec leaky garbage (yes the ones on your 800c turbocharger). Turbo is too small. Kit is hard to work on.
Flash tune is inadequate, car starts and runs cold poorly and the kit doesnt really perform like it should it's just a bit disappointing. It needs a bigger better turbo and a real ecu, in my opinion.

Dann

BBR don’t advertise the turbo type, what model is it? I’m thinking a 3071 would be a good track match for the 2.5?
I’m just surprised that with hundreds of tracked turbo kits out there I’m not hearing about fires especially when you can drive into a Mazda dealership in the UK and they will fit it for you and it’s warranted.
Lakeside 62.3

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Its a 2560

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Anyone here seen the Fab9 top mount kit? Looks like it works for RHD.
https://fab9tuning.com/fab9tuning-gt-tu ... -nc-06-15/

Would be nice if they offered the manifold and down pipes separately.
Lakeside 62.3

mossy
Fast Driver

Postby mossy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:21 pm

So has anyone done the Fab9 turbo kit on their NC yet? I had planned to do an LFX swap but cant be done due to the DSC not working after the swap.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”