who's running turbo set ups in Vic??

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

crumpet
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

who's running turbo set ups in Vic??

Postby crumpet » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Ok so obviously running a legal turbo set up in an na6 is pretty much not possible without running the risk of getting caught eventually...

I have a Nitro Dann kit, including full exhaust, bov and intercooler ready to bolt on, which I purchased a while ago when I was getting way to excited before reading into it's complications.

I understand it is also very possible that insurance wont cover for a crash, I'm not sure though, if this is just for full comprehensive? I have 3rd party/fire and theft so if I crash and my car is a write off obviously its bad luck for me but with a turbo setup up will it cover the other persons car?

I'd like to hear from people that are running the risk in VIC and what experience they have had so far? I have read a lot of content on the forum about how it isn't worth the trouble etc, but haven't heard from or met anyone that is actually doing this.

fastfreddygassit
Waitin' for a mate
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: who's running turbo set ups in Vic??

Postby fastfreddygassit » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:47 pm

AVO sell a legal (in Victoria) turbo kit for the NA6.

just saying'
:mrgreen:

crumpet
Driver

Postby crumpet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:07 am

Yer thanks, I'm aware of that, but the cost is almost double of what I paid

narita
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby narita » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Anything that is not legal can be used for your insurance company to get out of paying up.
NitroDann wrote:No one cares for your faux JDM posh lifestyle.

Dann

WINTON PB - 1:57.4000

sailaholic
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8

Postby sailaholic » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:31 pm

crumpet wrote:Yer thanks, I'm aware of that, but the cost is almost double of what I paid

That's because it comes with certification and hard work included.

Someone posted a few months they put their car though engineering and emissions compliance. So it is possible it would seem.

Also, best place to get legal advice about your insurance would be your insurer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bartmanftw
Fast Driver

Postby bartmanftw » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Will probably end up costing a huge amount to get it engineered and legal in VIC. There's also the issue of not being allowed a programmable ecu that isn't ADR approved so even if you can pass emissions they'd fail you because of the ecu. Not sure how you could get around this.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:05 pm

These are the facts;
Spoke to Shannons. Insurance will only decline u if the mod caused the accident. Thus a turbo should be OK
Engineers charge around a grand, Emissions test is $700, plus whatever else crops up. It might have to pass the current emission standards = nothing can pass that.
I got through with my modded sr20det but only had to pass the 1993 emissions std (age of body and age if engine).
Yes, I'm in Vic, so I did the 'impossible'.

bartmanftw
Fast Driver

Postby bartmanftw » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Were you using an aftermarket ecu or the sr20det ecu?

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Stock with Nistune.
Engineer was not concerned, he said the newest Motecs were great in reducing eemissions.

crumpet
Driver

Postby crumpet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:40 pm

That's because it comes with certification and hard work included.

Someone posted a few months they put their car though engineering and emissions compliance. So it is possible it would seem.

Also, best place to get legal advice about your insurance would be your insurer.

I'm sure it does take a bit of hard work and messing around to get certification, unfortunately out of my price range. Plus is it worth all the work, time and money just for 200whp, that's if the AVO kit even makes that to meet requirements?

Also as I stated was hoping to hear from someone doing this illegally or legally in VIC

cheers

Will probably end up costing a huge amount to get it engineered and legal in VIC. There's also the issue of not being allowed a programmable ecu that isn't ADR approved so even if you can pass emissions they'd fail you because of the ecu. Not sure how you could get around this.

yer it's not looking good lol

These are the facts;
Spoke to Shannons. Insurance will only decline u if the mod caused the accident. Thus a turbo should be OK
Engineers charge around a grand, Emissions test is $700, plus whatever else crops up. It might have to pass the current emission standards = nothing can pass that.
I got through with my modded sr20det but only had to pass the 1993 emissions std (age of body and age if engine).
Yes, I'm in Vic, so I did the 'impossible'.

Thanks for that! I imagine in any crash they would still try to pin it on you though. As for getting your car to pass emission's congrats, but not sure if I'm interested in going down this path anymore. I'll need to have a hard think about what to do next.

Were you using an aftermarket ecu or the sr20det ecu?

Dann's kit comes with the mega squirt pnp 2 mate, so was planning on using that.

Stock with Nistune.
Engineer was not concerned, he said the newest Motecs were great in reducing emissions.

Does this mean you have done it to? did it pass emission's testing?

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Re insurance. Just tell them about the mods and u should be fine.
Nope, as long as it passes emissions u can run what u like (as long as engineer OKs it). Engineer or emissions tester is not interested in pulling up your carpet to check your ecu.

crumpet
Driver

Postby crumpet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:29 pm

Yer that makes sense, I was under the impression that they would use mods as a way to charge extra?

Ok, I see what you mean but it still sounds like it's very difficult to pass the emissions test and costly.

Will all that still protect you from police?

sailaholic
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8

Postby sailaholic » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:18 pm

They will charge extra for mods. That's they way the world works. You've added to the risk and the value of the car.

I believe police will be interested in the mod plate, it's EPA that have issues with the programable ecu. That's only based off internet readings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meanmx
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby meanmx » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:18 pm

I'm one of the few that have had a legal NA6 turbo in Vic. Bought an AVO kit and went that direction. In all honesty though a lot of turbo cars do mods that aren't legal anyway, it's just a matter of how much crap you have to take off to get it back to stock. Even with an engineers report they can still send you to EPA if they feel it is warranted. I'm in the process of turbocharging my NB at the moment but it won't be engineered this time. In all honesty the MX5 is not a cops main target unless you drive like a dick.

Always list your mods on your insurance otherwise they will deny it. I've always felt safer going with a car enthusiast style company like Shannons.
2014 VW Mk7 Golf R
2001 Black NB8B viewtopic.php?f=57&t=58136
1986 Mazda Luce Royal Classic (13BT Mazda 929)

crumpet
Driver

Postby crumpet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:44 pm

They will charge extra for mods. That's they way the world works. You've added to the risk and the value of the car.

I thought that may have been the case, the mx5 is my first "project" car so would rather hear insurance advise from people on the forum with a bit of experience. cheers

I'm one of the few that have had a legal NA6 turbo in Vic. Bought an AVO kit and went that direction. In all honesty though a lot of turbo cars do mods that aren't legal anyway, it's just a matter of how much crap you have to take off to get it back to stock. Even with an engineers report they can still send you to EPA if they feel it is warranted. I'm in the process of turbocharging my NB at the moment but it won't be engineered this time. In all honesty the MX5 is not a cops main target unless you drive like a dick.

Always list your mods on your insurance otherwise they will deny it. I've always felt safer going with a car enthusiast style company like Shannons.

ok, well I'm glad you said that I may keep the turbo after all....as for insurance I think I may have to give Shannons a call now that the car is used as a daily. I'll keep driving like a dick to a minimum. thanks

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”