Dave's SE - REBORN

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Dave's SE - REBORN

Postby davekmoore » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:02 am

5C5055E7-F4C0-4529-8F87-8E109C2E9409.jpeg

So when I got back to the UK, for the sake of just getting a car, I bought the Merc on the left assuming I’d keep it a few months then move it on. 17 years old, 38,000 miles, one doctor owner, full Merc dealer service history, auto, supercharger, leather, big sunroof.

Anyone who knows me will assume from the photo that I now also own the car on the right, especially if you look carefully and see the BBR logo. Exactly my perfect spec, including the Soul Red.

But no!!! It’s my neighbour’s car. And he’s 80!!!!

Even more surprisingly, the Merc is so good that I’m keeping it. Although I guess I’d have a swap with the BBR if he offered. Brake pads, fluid, track days ......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:09 am

Good to hear from you Dave - hope all is well.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:45 pm

Good to hear from you Dave! Take care over there, I hear the lurgy is rife ... :(

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:29 am

:beer: sign your neighbour up :) nice to hear from you on the forum, stay safe mate.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:36 pm

Neighbour is not your usual MX5ist. Quite stand offish. Especially since I bought an NC with more power than his ND. And then I also bought a mint '93 NA S-Special which seems to have upset him even more.

Had a bit of a win recently though on the MX5 scene: My son in law asked me what he should get for 3 months while he decided what next new car to get. $10k budget, 4 doors, big boot, auto, safe, important that it loses as little money as possible over the 3 months. So I naturally suggested a manual MX5. I was then shocked to find out how much decent NAs are. They've doubled in value in the 2 years since I came back to the UK. So I ended up finding him a very good NB8A. After only using it for about a week he's already making noises about not selling it in 3 months, 'cos he likes it so much, but keeping it as a 3rd family car instead. He says the only thing it lacks is power (he did drive BARMY when he had 350hp at the wheels, so I can understand that).

We've talked about what power he wants, and about 50% more would suit him, preferably from relatively low revs. So maybe 225-250hp, deliberately to avoid massive supporting mods and to avoid the need for a forged motor.

I'm out of touch with what FI routes there are now, so I'd appreciate some advice on getting to 225-250hp cost effectively and without breaking a 5 speed box. For instance, have turbos caught up with superchargers for low down torque now?
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:45 pm

69 cars! Wow.

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:57 am

davekmoore wrote:We've talked about what power he wants, and about 50% more would suit him, preferably from relatively low revs. So maybe 225-250hp, deliberately to avoid massive supporting mods and to avoid the need for a forged motor.

I'm out of touch with what FI routes there are now, so I'd appreciate some advice on getting to 225-250hp cost effectively and without breaking a 5 speed box. For instance, have turbos caught up with superchargers for low down torque now?

GT2560R, basic manifold, full 3" exhaust, injectors/intercooler etc. Pretty much instant spool and you'll make that power. NB8A engine is the perfect base for it, better than the NA8. It is a bit borderline for the 5 speed though, depending on how he drives it. Remember, that torque you desire is exactly what kills gearboxes.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:58 am

Hi Dave,
A 2560 (what my white car has) will comfortably provide those numbers, and being so small, feels almost lag free (still get that rubber band feeling when opening wide from low revs). EFR6258 is another option

Kraken seem to be popular these days for the other turbo hardware.
Cheers,
Hanson

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:00 am

PaulF wrote:GT2560R, basic manifold, full 3" exhaust, injectors/intercooler etc. Pretty much instant spool and you'll make that power. NB8A engine is the perfect base for it, better than the NA8. It is a bit borderline for the 5 speed though, depending on how he drives it. Remember, that torque you desire is exactly what kills gearboxes.

Snap!

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:41 am

Plus a lot of company cars, mostly dreadful things like Minis, 1300GT, Cortina Estate, Marinas, Spitfire, TR7, Golfs, Vectra, Avenger Estates, Austin 1300 Countryman, BMW 1800, Mazda 6, MX5 turbo, SEAT Alhambra, Cupra, Cupra R, Altea, Skoda Octavias, Superb ......

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”