Dave's SE - REBORN

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Dave's SE - REBORN

Postby davekmoore » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Hopefully this is an averted disaster, not an actual one:

Those of you who've read my disconnected posts about all that's been wrong with the rebuild of BARMY will know it's been a hard slog to keep going in the face of being badly let down by various people. I should really have done one build thread instead of having heaps of scattered threads, so others could have learned more quickly from my mistakes - or laughed at them more frequently.

So today, after changing the oil and filter (bit advanced for me) and swapping a damaged front wing/fender/guard (waaaay advanced for me) I also decided to clean the air filter ......

Undid the clamp on the pod filter and gently removed the filter from the intake pipe only to find the whole pipe was moving around. Further investigation revealed there was no clamp on the connection between the pipe and the turbo. No way to know if the turbo had been getting filtered air since the motor was rebuilt. I'll also find out tomorrow whether it's running even richer now it has a fully sealed and filtered intake.

Firstly, not happy that either the engine builder failed to fit the clamp, or if it's fallen off, or if the tuner removed it when he was playing with the wastgate etc and forgot to put it back. Either way, they'll both blame each other so it's my fault for not giving the whole job to one person.

By the way, what fun it is getting access to the turbo flange to tighten a newly acquired clamp after all the other ancillaries have been installed on the hot side. A very long screwdriver, a big torch, and lots of patience needed!
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Dave's Disasters

Postby Magpie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Do a compression test.

You are not having a fun time with this build, however hopefully others can learn and know about the pitfalls BEFORE they take a course of action.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:12 pm

After trying to do as much DIY as I can on my own car and leaving the experts to do what I can't (eg. rebuild engine, welding), I tend to be a little sympathetic when I pay someone to do a job and they forget to install a clamp or something since I've done similar things myself (same story if a build is late due to waiting for parts to arrive, that's happened to me too).

You should always check any work yourself anyway, it's YOUR car and YOUR arse. This is where DIYing really comes in handy since more often than not you'll know what to check and what you're looking at.

Just pointing out that we're only human and bound to make an occasional mistake. If it's a regular occurrence or obvious mistake though, then I get annoyed.

You've had a really bad run though and if nothing else have learned a hell of a lot from it. Thanks for sharing your experiences, that's what forums are for, to propagate knowledge and come up with solutions (and provide entertainment when a thread takes an unexpected left turn).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:27 am

Yes, mistakes can be made and yes, still learning. I now know so much more about how a rebuild needs to be managed and next time I'd just sell the car with its broken motor and buy another car. Indeed, I did, but the combined buyer/seller backed out of the deal.

Hopefully there's not too much still to learn about this build, and, after the sump has been re-re-sealed, I'll be able to just use the car.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Thank you and best of luck with the car in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

wasabi
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby wasabi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:19 am

Ahhh the world of modding is filled with many highs & just as many lows at times.

Hopefully 2015 will be the year for you mate :)
2004 SE - WASABI Jr - Enhanced by Deckspeed

SMSP Brabham - 2:17.7
SMSP GP - 1:54.4
SMSP Amaroo - 1:04.9
Wakefield Park - 1:11.8

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:14 pm

"it's my fault for not giving the whole job to one person."

I agree with this and well done for realising it yourself.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Yeah but NitroDann and/or Deckspeed should move to Melbourne. Or I should move to Sydney.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:21 pm

+1 for Dann to Melbourne.

I'd have a turbo by now.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:18 am

There's a spare IHI on my bench, and a manifold somewhere in the shed, and an intercooler and other stuff somewhere. Some reassembly may be required!

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:20 pm

A well know auto electrical company in Mornington recently did some work on the car. While doing this they failed to reconnect the bluetooth mic plug at the back of the head unit. Took it back for them to sort it and told them why they should sort it at their cost. They sorted it and presented me with a bill for $66. Naturally didn't pay it as they were merely rectifying their own mistake (as well as it being about $60 more than the job was worth!). A few days later realised the aux and 12v connections to the iPhone holder on the driver's door weren't working. Suspected it was MAE's fault but decided to sort it myself. Discovered that while sorting the mic connection they'd a) plugged the aux connector into the remote socket on the back of the head unit and b) simply disconnected the 12v supply. Even I could sort this once I'd worked out what they'd done and which wires were which and overall it took me less time than it would have done to get the car to them and arrange alternative transport. It also gave me chance to sort some of the other chaos of wiring under the dash and to stop some of the rattles from the cruise control unit etc plus modify the under-dash lids so they no longer droop. Oh, and unlike them, I plugged the multi-plug fully into the back of the head unit so it no longer loses power momentarily over bumps!

Of course, it's possible other people have had good results with the same company, but thought I'd share my experience.

sailaholic
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8

Postby sailaholic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Geez Dave it's a wonder you still own a car! That many issues repeatedly over many workshops would have broken a lot of people. That or dríven them to never use professional labour where ever possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Dave you should write for Days of our Lives, you have so much material now. As for Sailaholic kudos for sticking with it.

I have had the same problem with the mike previously, however no stereo now so it does not matter :)

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:50 pm

Not sure whether it's stamina or stupidity.

I'm learning lots though - sadly.

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:01 am

Only did one sighter session in the wet at Sandown yesterday before being banned due to three separate oil leaks, all of them attributable to the engine rebuild.
As I left, so was the announcement made that the track was dry, which it stayed for the rest of the day.
Finally got home to discover I'd not handed in the Dorian.
I think they call it character building.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”