Dave's SE - REBORN

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Dave's SE - REBORN

Postby davekmoore » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:28 am

IanR wrote:question, what max speed (gps) did you see at PI?

Last time at PI had a misfire that I thought was fuel starvation following the long left hander. Was considering a surge tank until I discovered at Sandown last weekend that the connectors for the igniter were missing the correct clips causing them to part slightly around left handers.

So any times at turn 1 would be irrelevant as I was backing off along the straights to avoid the misfire, which I thought was fuel starvation, which in turn would have caused leaning out, which would have been a Bad Thing.

Lightyear might be a better source of this info, since he makes his less powerful car go faster than mine. Mind you, he might also say you shouldn't be looking at the speedo and should just be flat in 6th (perhaps only with aero?) until turn 2.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:58 am

davekmoore wrote: should just be flat in 6th (perhaps only with aero?) until turn 2.

Defineitely only with aero.
Dont be flat in 6th thru T1 at PI or you wont make T2.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

lightyear
Infinity & Beyond
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby lightyear » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:59 pm

300 plus horsepower MX5's would need to lift. I suppose you could try holding it flat. You might get to T3 a lot quicker. :)
NA8B - P.I 1:50.1 Wntn1:38.0 Sand1:27.6 Wntn S1:08 Bfrd1:06.9 Cldr1:08.5 Wak1:10.4
"SE" - P.I 1:43.8 Wntn1:32.9 Sand1:22.0 Bfrd1:05.3

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:19 pm

..... airborne
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Credit to Gordon Robertson for the photos from khanacross yesterday.

Turns out I'm equally untalented around a really twisty course and have no memory whatsoever for the right direction around any more than 3 cones. Great fun though! My daughter Kirsty enjoyed being a passenger too.

Khanacross.jpeg
Khanacross 3.jpeg
Khanacross 2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrsB
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby MrsB » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:44 pm

lightyear wrote:300 plus horsepower MX5's would need to lift. I suppose you could try holding it flat. You might get to T3 a lot quicker. :)

or westernport ...

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:31 pm

or Devonport

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:35 pm

For anyone considering putting a Garrett on to replace the IHI turbo:

Your original IHI had a horrible thin wall pipe which returns oil to the sump (until it cracks and leaks, but that's another story). Mazda made the pipe as short (and cheap?) as possible which in turn meant the inlet to the sump was close to the turbo. If you put a Garrett in a similar place to the IHI you will not have a suitable metal pipe and will probs be using high temp high pressure oil hose. If you to to install too long a hose to the existing fitting in the sump it will kink. If you use a short hose it will be stressed in at least two near-90 degree bends and will fail, spraying oil on the exhaust, which will get you black flagged and cause you to spend the next 6 hours learning new keyhole mechanical "skills" along with some new swear words.

Solution - relocate the turbo oil return further away in the sump so you can use a longer hose with no kinks and no stressed areas.

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Plan B might be to add a 90 degree angle to the sump inlet. Will update when done.

celicapain
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Turbo

Postby celicapain » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:29 pm

davekmoore wrote:For anyone considering putting a Garrett on to replace the IHI turbo:

Your original IHI had a horrible thin wall pipe which returns oil to the sump (until it cracks and leaks, but that's another story). Mazda made the pipe as short (and cheap?) as possible which in turn meant the inlet to the sump was close to the turbo. If you put a Garrett in a similar place to the IHI you will not have a suitable metal pipe and will probs be using high temp high pressure oil hose. If you to to install too long a hose to the existing fitting in the sump it will kink. If you use a short hose it will be stressed in at least two near-90 degree bends and will fail, spraying oil on the exhaust, which will get you black flagged and cause you to spend the next 6 hours learning new keyhole mechanical "skills" along with some new swear words.

Solution - relocate the turbo oil return further away in the sump so you can use a longer hose with no kinks and no stressed areas.

If you ever have a problem with a hose kinking like this there is an easy solution!
Get a light compression spring with an OD slightly greater than the ID of said hose.
Insert the spring into the hose twisting it so it goes in nice and easy under tension. Presto, one completely kink proof hose. Have used for tight oil returns in my supra powered celica and cressida havnt had an issue in 7 years of hard driving.(well not with the oil return line.....)

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:03 pm

These work too, but have only used on heater hose
http://www.unicoil.com.au/

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:58 pm

IMG_0386.JPG

Newly engineered very solid fitting on the sump complete with 90 degree steel bend leading to a very short piece of pipe leading to the original high quality fitting on the bottom of the turbo. The pipe allows a little movement for aligning the solid parts without stressing them and might be a good thing for avoiding failures caused by vibration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:10 pm

In theory they shouldn't vibrate too much, they are all bolted together....
However, you can appreciate that with the turbo hanging on the side of the exhaust manifold they way they do, there is potential for a little bit of give.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

timk
Racing Driver

Postby timk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:34 pm

You can also use a non-SE sump on an SE engine, that's what I did:

Probably a bit drastic of a solution unless you have the engine out, though!

Sean
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Sean » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Geez you've had some average luck with this thing over the years Dave!

Glad to see you've stuck with it and getting closer and closer to a trouble free beast!
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”