Dave's SE - REBORN

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Dave's SE - REBORN

Postby davekmoore » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Today at Broadford I hoped for two things:

1. Get under 1:10. Did a 1:07.16. Happy with that. Quicker than a 997 GT. Only beaten by a Targa 911 (turbo?) and a couple of Evos.

2. Get through the day without having to repair BARMY. 100% success. Yay!
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:30 am

Great news Dave, any videos of Barmy on track?
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:26 pm

BARMY also managed 45 laps, mostly under 1:10, which was at least 10 laps more than anyone else, and on a hot day.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:32 pm

How good is that !

Well done Dave.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

pcmx5
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pcmx5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Saw some of those laps and this thing is seriously quick,stunning acceleration!

Peter.
.Now ND2 Roadster prev NC2 Recaro's ,BBS wheels,full exhaust, Tiens NA 1.6.NA 1.8 LE(106RWKW)NC1,NC2.ND 1.5 .

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:41 pm

330 RWHP or so if memory serves me!

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:05 pm

Yup 330rwhp. Enough to be quicker than a well dríven 997 GT3, even in my (learner driver) hands. Not quick enough to catch a couple of full house Evos and a lightweight 911 Turbo though. To catch them it'll need more driver and less inside wheelspin coming out of turn 12 which goes ooooon and oooooon and tightens then tightens some more with the second half out of sight over a brow then just when you think you've got it right it goes off camber. Perhaps it also now needs some aero and better, less worn out suspension, as it's at and beyond the limits of its grip at several other places at Broadford. Yes, this often means several steering corrections per corner after initial turn in, which is interesting when there's 330hp/244kw going through one or both rear wheels.

It's interesting to see that I can now do this sort of thinking about how I'm driving the car and how it's performing now that it's finally doing some consistent laps. Hopefully this will mean I can start learning how to drive it?

lightyear
Infinity & Beyond
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby lightyear » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:37 am

1:07 is very good, the car and driver must be starting to all work together. Last time I went was when I first fitted the SE turbo, did an ok time, but handed in my Motorsport application too late for them to accept my time in the club results. 9 days before the event is not enough time apparently. Definitely needed a rear wing at Broadford. Would make a massive difference. I may have some aero soon to sell.
NA8B - P.I 1:50.1 Wntn1:38.0 Sand1:27.6 Wntn S1:08 Bfrd1:06.9 Cldr1:08.5 Wak1:10.4
"SE" - P.I 1:43.8 Wntn1:32.9 Sand1:22.0 Bfrd1:05.3

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Yup, I finally feel that now the car is consistent I can learn to drive it. I've got slightly quicker through each of the last two events although conditions have got worse as the day has gone on (more heat). I also reckon a bit of subconcious re-driving of the track will make me quicker next time I'm back at those tracks.

Maybe I do need some aero after I've sorted the misfire. We should talk. Mind you there was a bloke at Sandown who was 5 seconds quicker than me, still with no aero, but with slicks. Slicks stop it being a road car though. But maybe its time ............

lightyear
Infinity & Beyond
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby lightyear » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:32 am

I wouldn't go to slicks. Your car in theory might be capable of a low 1:20 as is. I know my silver MX5 would have done a 1:21 if I took it out again.
If I was you, I would spend my money on doing about 15 track days this year. Maintain the car, and next year do more upgrades. Most fun way to go faster is seat time.
NA8B - P.I 1:50.1 Wntn1:38.0 Sand1:27.6 Wntn S1:08 Bfrd1:06.9 Cldr1:08.5 Wak1:10.4
"SE" - P.I 1:43.8 Wntn1:32.9 Sand1:22.0 Bfrd1:05.3

Ned Loh
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Ned Loh » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:12 am

Just keep driving the thing as often as possible.

Have you tried one of the track day driver coaching days? Some don't get a lot out of them, but many do. I think John Bowe Driving or something like that. Run by JBs brother Terry. In the format they use they can't really coach you at 100% (and I understand completely why), however they can pick up some bad habits and give pointers at lower speeds. I think they ask you to drive around 80% but I'm not certain of that.

Do you have data? Swapping with someone faster but with similar set up would point out the areas for improvement.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:34 am

i also wouldn't go slicks.
You will strart breaking other things like hubs or drive shafts or something expensive.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:11 am

Ned Loh wrote:Just keep driving the thing as often as possible.

This. Necessary, but not enough by itself.

Ned Loh wrote:Have you tried one of the track day driver coaching days? Some don't get a lot out of them, but many do. I think John Bowe Driving or something like that. Run by JBs brother Terry. In the format they use they can't really coach you at 100% (and I understand completely why), however they can pick up some bad habits and give pointers at lower speeds. I think they ask you to drive around 80% but I'm not certain of that.

The '80%' thing is news to me, but then I haven't done any driver training for ... a while. Still useful for technique I imagine, and that is not to be underestimated.

Ned Loh wrote:Do you have data? Swapping with someone faster but with similar set up would point out the areas for improvement.

Good idea. Better idea is to put someone 'good*' (and trusted) in your car for a session, and then do a session yourself - compare the important stuff: braking points, corner speeds/'g', how early on the throttle on corner exit are probably the most important. That way not only do you get exact comparisons, you will also (inevitably) get some setup suggestions - but file them away for later use and concentrate on the differences in the data and what they tell you about extracting lap time.

No data? Then get it. Data is the best and quickest way of driving faster. If you are serious about becoming a faster driver, data is the quickest and cheapest way of doing it. Data will SHOW you exactly what you have to do to go faster, then it is all up to you.

:mrgreen:

* Someone experienced, who drives a similarly powered car, does fast times, and doesn't have 'incidents'.
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:28 am

Ok, I'll bite. How about an idiot's guide to data?

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”