NB Oil and Water feeds, Safe boost and ECU info

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

BrownDog185
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

NB Oil and Water feeds, Safe boost and ECU info

Postby BrownDog185 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Kk

So far I've collected a Turbo, intercooler and started makin a manifold, but there are a few questions I can't seem to get a straight answer on

This is all for Jap spec NB

Firstly, where do u feed ur turbos from, I know u can use the oil pressure sender for the oil feed, but does this actually flow enough?
And where would be the best place to get some water from and where to return it?

Secondly, what kind of boost is a safe level for a BP4W that's done about 200,xxxks, assuming a appropriate fuel supply and an above average tune on 98 fuel

Lastly, ECUs
Where does everyone stand on them, considering either a megasquirt, a microtech or if I manage to win the lottery an Adaptronic
Why do people regard microtech as garbage?
BULIDING THE BEAST!!
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=73333

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: NB Oil and Water feeds, Safe boost and ECU info

Postby smy0003 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:48 pm

There is no definite 'safe boost limit' your tuner will sort that out on the dyno.
Use a 7 or 8psi wastegate, you can always add boost with mbc or ebc but you can never get less boost.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

pepejesus
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby pepejesus » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:53 pm

2004 SE - stock ECU, stock engine, BEGi intake, FMIC, BC Racing 10/6, 15x8s, 225/45 NT-01s
Barbagallo long: 70.488
Barbagallo short: 58.999

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Man, it sounds like you don't know enough, yet you want to DIY?
Awaiting for the Kaboom.

BrownDog185
Learner Driver

Postby BrownDog185 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:11 am

bruce wrote:Man, it sounds like you don't know enough, yet you want to DIY?
Awaiting for the Kaboom.

Most of my knowledge comes from boosting a 323 using a familia GTX motor, so I know the ins and outs of the earlier BP motors and BP05 from the later 323s
Just not much experience with the BP4Ws
BULIDING THE BEAST!!

BrownDog185
Learner Driver

Postby BrownDog185 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:12 am

BULIDING THE BEAST!!

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:47 am

BrownDog185 wrote:
bruce wrote:Man, it sounds like you don't know enough, yet you want to DIY?
Awaiting for the Kaboom.

Most of my knowledge comes from boosting a 323 using a familia GTX motor, so I know the ins and outs of the earlier BP motors and BP05 from the later 323s
Just not much experience with the BP4Ws

Thankfully the 4w was pretty much the same engine to the 05

Only real difference was a little higher compression, high port head (flows a bit better as standard), and the addition of the VICS intake manifold (twin tract one with the 4 butterflies)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 am

BrownDog185 wrote:Lastly, ECUs
Where does everyone stand on them, considering either a megasquirt, a microtech or if I manage to win the lottery an Adaptronic
Why do people regard microtech as garbage?

I'll chuck my 2c worth in here as well.
Firstly, if you buy from DIYautotune, the MS2PNP will end up costing as much as an Adaptronic after shipping and GST, and the MSPNPpro will be getting very close to $2k, if not more.
Contact BarTune Engineering on facebook (Bartmanftw? on this forum), he builds MS units locally. However, if no one near you can tune a MegaSquirt then that option is off the table.
Microtech don't make a PnP solution for the MX5 and they are more or less an unknown quantity to us. This alone makes it a bad choice if you will doing a DIY installation and base tune.

The widely used budget ($1.5k to $2k) solutions are MegaSquirt, Adaptronic or Haltech. See what your local tuners have to say.

The ECU will be the single biggest cost of your entire turbo system, ECU and tune alone will probably be more expensive than all the other bits put together. It is worth it, as it's the difference between having a backyard hack job that doesn't drive properly and makes 110rwkw, or a car that drives and behaves better than a stock car and makes 170rwkw.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:56 am

smy0003 wrote:
I'll chuck my 2c worth in here as well.
Firstly, if you buy from DIYautotune, the MS2PNP will end up costing as much as an Adaptronic after shipping and GST, and the MSPNPpro will be getting very close to $2k, if not more.
Contact BarTune Engineering on facebook (Bartmanftw? on this forum), he builds MS units locally. However, if no one near you can tune a MegaSquirt then that option is off the table.
Microtech don't make a PnP solution for the MX5 and they are more or less an unknown quantity to us. This alone makes it a bad choice if you will doing a DIY installation and base tune.

The widely used budget ($1.5k to $2k) solutions are MegaSquirt, Adaptronic or Haltech. See what your local tuners have to say.

The ECU will be the single biggest cost of your entire turbo system, ECU and tune alone will probably be more expensive than all the other bits put together. It is worth it, as it's the difference between having a backyard hack job that doesn't drive properly and makes 110rwkw, or a car that drives and behaves better than a stock car and makes 170rwkw.

smy0003 is spot on.
I got the MSPNP2 with postage ,Insurance & USB worked out to be $1231 with pay pal before GST & 5% import duty when it arrives. The $AU conversion kills it currently. Then the credit card must have also charged me another $20-$30 for foreign exchange
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

pepejesus
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby pepejesus » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:02 pm

BrownDog185 wrote:Why thank you!!

No worries, some of the info in that particular thread is a bit dated, but as far as DIY turboing an MX5 goes, that site is the best resource out there.
2004 SE - stock ECU, stock engine, BEGi intake, FMIC, BC Racing 10/6, 15x8s, 225/45 NT-01s
Barbagallo long: 70.488
Barbagallo short: 58.999

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”