SP power upgrade

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

BradK
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: SP power upgrade

Postby BradK » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:37 pm

I’ve just read this thread and have learnt quite a lot I didn’t know about ECU’s and tuning. Currently I am reasearching MX-5’s with the intention of purchasing. So far I have only test dríven a standard ND and I’m not sure if I really want a turbo but would like to keep my options open.

From my research so far it seem to me that -

The “genuine Mazda” turbo MX-5’s command a higher price as much for their “limited edition” status as their increased performance? As my main buying criteria is maximum fun/$ then maybe this is not for me?

A well engineered “after market” turbo system may provide better performance in a more drivable package than a “genuine” turbo car?

While a car that already has an after market turbo fitted may appear to provide better value for money over the cost of buying a car and doing the turbo conversion yourself, this may not always be the case depending on the components used and the time spent on tuning etc. The quality of the conversion may not be immediately apparent to a novice buyer like myself and I’m not sure of the beset way to assess if a turbo install is going to be “good value” or not?

Please feel free to let me know if I’m not on the right track here as its all part of the learning process!
Cheers

Brad

NC. Aluminium Metallic. Grey Leather. PRHT. Ohlins DFV Coilovers. RoadsterSport Headers. SuperQ Muffler. ECUTEK
The “Hiroshima Screamer”

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:48 pm

If you like the ND, buy an ND. NAs, NBs, are old school cars (likely to be the turbo ones you're looking at). NCs are more modern but definitely not an ND.

Roadster2
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Roadster2 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi There!

Regarding turbo mx5's, many would agree that stock Mx5 SE's are quite underwhelming. Even after doing 'stage 1' mods (so intake, exhaust, intercooler), you then have to deal with the limits of the stock ecu/injectors since they're so detuned. Basically, nearly everything needs to be replaced and so provided you're not chasing the limited edition badge, I'd recommend going the nb8b route and turboing it from scratch. A much better decision to make from a financial perspective and has everything you need (VVT and square top intake manifold).

AzzA68
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE
Location: Somewhere near the middle, but kinda off to one side a bit..

Postby AzzA68 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:28 pm

G'day Bradk,

If you're coming from other high performance cars, that both go fast in a straight line and corner well, then you might get frustrated with an MX-5.

However if you're new to performance driving and are wanting to future proof your purchase, by having the extra killerwasps at hand for when you master the chassis, then you might be underestimating the MX-5.

The MX-5 in most forms will out "handle" most drivers.

I've got an nb8b and an SE and they're both better cars than I am I driver. They are both capable of keeping me humble, and my money is better spent on tyres and track fees.

My suggestion to, almost, anyone: buy any MX-5 that you can afford and drive it to enjoy it. You won't be disappointed and chances are you'll be a better driver for the experience.

Cheers,
AzzA
Little Red Unicorn :NB8B:
Velocity Red 2004 SE (now with more "zoom")

BradK
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby BradK » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:48 pm

Now for your replies.

The cheapest ND I have seen advertised is at the very top of my budget so I think a nicer, older model is probably a better choice.

The NB8B seems to be very popular with lots of information and after market parts available. Currently I am leaning towards this model.

Information online about the NC seems contradictory and I’m unsure about the Ford engine it uses?

I’ve never owned a high performance car, the MX-5 will be a motorbike replacement and used as a weekend tourer (not a track car). I understand what you are saying. The BMW I owned for over a decade, with its Ohlins suspension, was a much better bike than I was a rider, it was very tolerant of my mistakes. :shock: The BMW had half the horsepower of the bike it replaced but its handling and braking was in a different class. It was much more satisfying to swing smoothly through a series of bends than to be able to do 200kph + in a straight line.

Cheers

Brad
Cheers

Brad

NC. Aluminium Metallic. Grey Leather. PRHT. Ohlins DFV Coilovers. RoadsterSport Headers. SuperQ Muffler. ECUTEK
The “Hiroshima Screamer”

aka_juffa
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby aka_juffa » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 am

BradK wrote:Now for your replies.

The BMW had half the horsepower of the bike it replaced but its handling and braking was in a different class. It was much more satisfying to swing smoothly through a series of bends than to be able to do 200kph + in a straight line.

Cheers

Brad

And that is exactly how the MX-5 was designed.......My brother drove my '94 NA earlier this year and he thought it felt faster on twisty roads due to the open cabin and proximity to the ground......he has a Audi SQ5, which is a brut of a car, much faster that my MX5, but doesn't feel it.

Look forward to your joining our obsession.
Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Welcome!
BradK wrote:Information online about the NC seems contradictory and I’m unsure about the Ford engine it uses?

BradK wrote:There are also some nice NC’s in my budget but there seems to be less information available on them. I’ve read vague comments about issues with early NC’s but nothing specific. I’m not sure if I should be considering one or not?

NB8B/C/D, in other words a build date of Oct 2000 onwards is a good option, but so is the NC. Yes, the NC1 (2005-2008) motor (crankshaft) was revised with the release of the NC2 in 2009, which came with a forged crank.

Don't recall a forumite on here posting about a problem with their NC1 crank, but I did see an ad for an NC1 about a decade ago that mentioned it had a problem with the crank, so a new crank was included in the sale. Don't recall a forumite on here posting about a problem with their NC2 crank. With the NC2 now going for $ high teens k that's what I'd be looking at, but of course drive them both as the NB8B/C/D may satisfy you at half the price.

AzzA68
Driver

Postby AzzA68 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:10 pm

As old cars go... for my 2 cents... the NB8B NB8C is in the sweet spot, for price and parts availability, at the moment. Cheap to get into, cheap to maintain, and you can sell for what you bought for.

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:07 pm

NC + 2.5l what more could you want?
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:51 pm

....more power.

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:54 pm

whats all this rubbish got to do with an SP ?.

SP's have a place. No one can ever take away what they were at the time they came out. even with all thier faults. Nothing of the sort has come out since. & nothing caused as much interest and want since.

SP is about heritage. & owners should be allowed to be proud.

who cares about your 300 killerwasps. and cause you got it cheaper. its not an SP.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

AzzA68
Driver

Postby AzzA68 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:29 pm

You tell 'em Stan!

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”