SE Intake and Exhaust Upgrade.

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

Badbuzzard
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: SE Intake and Exhaust Upgrade.

Postby Badbuzzard » Sun May 20, 2018 11:24 pm

So I'm going to replace my BOV/Recirc Valve, which brand of valve is best suited to the SE? Forge possibly? I've ordered the BEGi throttle body elbow after having a close inspection of the current one. Bit dubious to say the least,especially on the seam. Is fitting it straight forward? Found a DYNO print out amongst the documents that came with the car, said the car made 144kw on DYNO DYNAMICS. Is this about right for a totally stock SE? One more question, is the SE exhaust 2.34" stock or thereabouts? Regards Ricky

Badbuzzard
Driver

Postby Badbuzzard » Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 am

Badbuzzard wrote:So I'm going to replace my BOV/Recirc Valve, which brand of valve is best suited to the SE? Forge possibly? I've ordered the BEGi throttle body elbow after having a close inspection of the current one. Bit dubious to say the least,especially on the seam. Is fitting it straight forward? Found a DYNO print out amongst the documents that came with the car, said the car made 144kw on DYNO DYNAMICS. Is this about right for a totally stock SE? One more question, is the SE exhaust 2.34" stock or thereabouts? Regards Ricky

Whoops, try 144 HP. freudian slip no doubt.LOL

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 am

Brand choice for a replacement BOV is pretty much up to what tickles your fancy, they all do the job better than the factory plastic jobbie!

Turbosmart is a popular choice.....

Sounds about right on the exhaust but there's some really horrible restrictions along the way, all stainless steel but heavy!
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon May 21, 2018 9:43 am

I think the stock SE exhaust is 2.25" ...

Just did a quick Google and found a reference to 2.375" ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Badbuzzard
Driver

Postby Badbuzzard » Tue May 29, 2018 7:52 pm

Has anyone used or know someone who's used EMS ECU's. Made in Australia and my local tuner likes them over others as he reckons the back up service is A1. Can't find anything on line with a connection to MX5/EMS computer.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 pm

I think most of the aussie ECUs have pretty decent support but .. that really shouldn't matter too much if you're paying someone else to install and tune it (unless there's issues with their install or tune).
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed May 30, 2018 10:06 am

Badbuzzard wrote:Has anyone used or know someone who's used EMS ECU's. Made in Australia and my local tuner likes them over others as he reckons the back up service is A1. Can't find anything on line with a connection to MX5/EMS computer.

I'd be wary about using an ECU that has few MX5 users because you're going to be the pioneer on that ECU for MX5 peculiarities - pioneering takes time and time with a tuner costs lots of $$$.

eg.

The NB's alternator was traditionally painful to handle on most ECUs and some resorted to swapping it out for an NA alternator.
Now, after many years of use on MX5s, Haltech, Megasquirt and Adaptronic ECUs now handle it.
Does your ECU handle the NBs alternator properly?
If not, you'll never be happy with your car.

Haltech has had many years of involvement with MX5s and even with their latest incarnation NitroDann spent a lot of time identifying issues, including a harness wiring problem which Haltech should have been aware of.

The ECU rule of thumb is to use whatever ECU your tuner prefers but if it's untried on your vehicle, you could be in for a lot of grief and $$$ to figure out vehicle-specific issues.

Having said that, if you do choose the EMS ECU, please document it here "warts-and-all" - if it works out well the community would be greatful for another ECU option, if not we'll know to dismiss it.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby apsilon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Only just noticed this and probably not all that helpful but my old NA Clubman turbo ran an EMS ECU. Worked fine, never had an issue with it and got good support from them during the initial install. That was a long time ago though but if anything I'd expect them to have improved in the last 15 years. Wasn't plug in of course and an NA is fairly simple. Tuner makes all the difference as mentioned.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

crazypsychosydney
Learner Driver

Postby crazypsychosydney » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi Dann

What about turbo outlet pipe connected to the turbo, do u do bigger replacement one?
Thanks!

NitroDann wrote:Stuff it, here are some pictures for future searchers. Some of actual SE's some of all 89-05 3" exhausts, because they are close enough to identical year on year except the very front bit for the SE turbo and exact hanger locations.

The are from the 3 bolt flange back (3 pieces total, front pipe, midpipe and rear section), a nice 2.5"->3" conical expander direct from that flange to the 3" front pipe which includes a downpipe brace and a flexxy joint, then a 100 cell bullet style race-cat. Then a 14" large body hotdog resonator, then out past the diff and through a very large 6"x10" muffler which is 16" long. It includes bolts and nuts, gaskets, new rubber hangers and packaging and postage Australia wide and tax, They are $1499. This system is the EXACT one we use on everything from bolt on SE to engineered TwistMount kits to 500hp Time attack machines. So an engineered car which is certified 100% legal we change the cat but the sound test and performance results for both version are identical. Please note that engineered cars need a better cat for emissions which costs an additional $300.

With a droopy tip by request, tacked for final welding.

Some pics of quality, closer up.

Sound video on a T28 NB, its the same but a little quieter on an SE.

Dyno video of the same system behind a GTX twistMount2, to show the systems potential.

Any questions let me know.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”