Kraken cast turbo manifold? ? Any good?

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

mx589
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Kraken cast turbo manifold? ? Any good?

Postby mx589 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:40 pm

NitroDann are you bracing the turbo or using different steam pipe or welding technique to get the newer manifolds to hold up better ?
Just curious

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm sure costs and complexities would also be an issue as mentioned previously, but I believe Kraken is designed to be able to run a Borg Warner EFR turbo, as well as the Garretts, so they place the turbo further forward to allow for the longer design of the BW. I suspect this would mean the turbo would interfere with the AC or PS components if used in a low mount manifold design.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:18 am

The 2nd gen has a different jig to make the collector a little larger and get better fitment for better welds. We have a new TIG torch to get into that area better, the turbo flange gets beveled on the back side to get full gas coverage, and the downpipe has been redesigned to allow an (included) brace to support the entire mass of the turbocharger assembly.

Ill add some photos later to show you.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

mx589
Racing Driver

Postby mx589 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks dan :)

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:17 am

NitroDann wrote:
So far zero 2nd gen issues at all including on 400+whp racecars, and the next run will be made of HyperTune high nickel content weld elbows, like all the time attack cars have.

Dann

Pictures and finish options/cost would be good.

When is the next run Dan?

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:42 am

The kit comes as shown here:

Please note that this image shows the turbo and DOES NOT show the Turbo assembly brace, it is shown installed further along this post.
As seen the kit is $1499, and another $1399 with the turbo. The turbo comes with an intake pipe welded on, which fits a 2.5" pod, or works as is with my airbox kit. The turbo itself as shown is a GT2860rs, with 0.86 rear housing and comes with a laser cut wastegate actuator bracket and the correct Garret actuator to suit the kit, it bolts right on and fits beautifully as shown in all of the 'installed kit' photos.
The construction of the manifold is schedule 40 steel buttweld fittings, called steampipe in the car industry. This has been the gold standard for turbocharger manifolds for decades. It's all bevelled and TIG welded with full penetration. The downpipe is food grade 304 hydro formed bends made by a company in NZ called UltraBend. These components far surpass standard stainless mandrel bends from exhaust suppliers, again it's all TIG welded beautifully. Below are some shots during construction.

The focus on the TwistMount is on reliability, response, and how easy it is to work on. The entire assembly of turbo, intake, manifold, and downpipe will all go in and out of the car in under 10 minutes as a complete unit. Access to bolts and hoses is important and the flat runner design means that the manifold can be rattle gunned off for the most part, the oil feed fitting can be removed in 10 seconds with a spanner and the oil return is in an easy to access spot on the sump. The kit can make over 500whp with a GTX2867r and with that bigger turbo the kit makes more than double the stock power/torque at 3,000rpm. From 45whp to 115whp at 3,000rpm. It will spool way over 10psi revving the car in neutral, not against the limiter just revving it to show off to your mates the gauge will show 10-15psi. It's also capable of producing an incredibly driveable smooth power curve as seen in this video.

And a 1 minute video to show how easy it is to get in and out of a complete engine bay.

Here are some shots of it showing fitment and design:

Full assembly with intercooler kit-

Uncoated in a clean NA engine bay-

2 shots of the bevel used to get good access and gas coverage-

A good shot of the downpipe fitment and design-

The next 2 shots show it on a motor in in the bay, this is a standard TM2 kit with GTX2867r, making 460rwhp with fantastic response-

An engineered road car using our full kit including airbox-

The same NA as above now coated black and using a GTC turbo rather than the standard kits GT2860rs 0.86-

This shot shows the turbo assembly bracket, as you can see the downpipe has a provision for this designed into the flange-

Dann

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:28 am

Some extra info:

We run this kit at 270rwhp on stock motors, and motors with rods tuned on E85 to 330-340whp, It really depends what day you dyno as to whether it shows 330 or 340whp. The stock turbo and kit comes with a 10psi actuator and makes around 220whp with a conservative tune with no extra boost, it's also very linear out of the box with this setup, no fancy tuning is required to get a linear 220whp.

Despite using the bigger rear housing most people describe the car as essentially lag free and responsive driving better than the average OEM turbo car. At 270whp the car is faster than pretty much anything on the street from the lights, it has beaten in fair races:

E63AMG
Golf R
400whp clubsports
400whp XR6s
440whp supercharged XR8
Bolt on EVO's
Every WRX STi that has ever tried
450whp R34 GTST
Porsche Cayman S
etc etc etc

It does 0-100 in under 4.5 seconds on the street and has 100% traction in 2nd gear, with 80% available in 1st gear, this is due to the linear power curve.

David Alland has an NB8b with BC coilobvers, swaybar, torsen, no carpet or air con, brake pads and a drive in drive out kit and runs 15" AO50s, it was dríven by a young guy named Luke for 1 session at wakefield and ran in the 1.07 bracket.

Tammie and Warren Hots have an NB with a bolt on kit and found 6 extra seconds at wakefield park with noother changes at the time.

Here is a video of their car on the standard 10psi setup with no extra boost doing over 200km/h at Eastern Creek and tearing the soft top right off.

https://www.facebook.com/tammie.mcgover ... _video_tab

Dann
Last edited by NitroDann on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mx589
Racing Driver

Postby mx589 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am

Very nice as usual dan
Thanks for all the pictures
I see the bracket now you talk about mounted from the bottom engine mount to the dump flange area

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:43 am

That's right, it has enlarged holes so it fits no matter how you bolt the manifold/turbo/downpipe together (they have a little play in the bolt holes to get the best fitment on the chassis) and it's made of standard ductile mild steel, It's designed to be very very stiff but still allow some growth in the manifold as it starts to get red hot.

The first gen manifolds had failed on very very fast racecars and the changes on the 2nd gen were to alleviate this. So far no failures have occurred. This includes 450whp+ time attack cars which (although untested) should run 10 second passes at the drags, so these are genuinely supercar performance setups.

The kit comes with new bolts a little longer than OEM to make up for the extra material they have to go through (engine mount AND bracket).

We also have airboxes, intercooler kits, exhaust, oil lines and catch cans etc all available.

We also have a full cooling setup available for $1999 delivered which includes a Mishimoto 42mm radiator, 949 SuperMiata full reroute kit, PWR oil cooler (it's huge, its like a 1.5" thick stack of a4 paper) and oil filter relocation kit, including a nice bolt on bracket for the filter relocation. It also includes full flow -10 AN fittings and lines. The oil cooler comes mounted directly to the rear on the radiator where the AC fan lives and is extremely easy to install and work on. It's on everything from 270whp street cars to 450whp time attack cars and is proven to keep coolant and oil temps to 80 and 90*c respectively on hard repeated sessions (one car manages this doing 1.03's nonstop at Wakefield, for example).
The datalog shown below also shows engine intake air temperature at a steady 50*c which is around 20 above ambient, this is on a 300whp GT2560r car, basically running unlimited boost, the very max the turbo can make, suffice to say this is well outside of the efficiency range of the turbo and the air exiting the turbo in my experience is well over 100c in these conditions..

Here is a Motec datalog as proof,

And then pics of some parts:

As you can see it's all designed to work together, with no one part making anything else work worse, or hard to work on.

This last image i included to show you the downpipe flange design, incorporating the manifold support bracket provision: As you can see it's quite well designed and very very stout.

Dann

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Some really nice products and great info Dann, very well thought out stuff. I'll definitely be getting your twist mount setup for my SE track car at some point. Will probably talking to you about your cooling package before then though :)

mx589
Racing Driver

Postby mx589 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Some nice pictures looks very nice dan the work you do as usual

Is that a 600 by 300 intercooler in those pics above with the 2 intercooler kits in the one picture ?

I see your feeding the turbo also of the back of the cylinder head. Do you use any restrictor still say on garret gt ball bearing turbos cause im guessing the oil pressure / supply flow would be lower from the back of the head than say straight of the oil pressure switch like a lot of people do ?

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 pm

3 cooler options, standard is 550x140, larger is 550x180, bigger still 550x230.

The smallest works at 200rwkw. Then 250 and 300+.

No restrictor, the cylinder head supply is restricted from factory.

Dann

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:19 pm

The Zork wrote:
NitroDann wrote:
the next run will be made of HyperTune high nickel content weld elbows.

Dann

When will you be doing the next run of HyperTune high nickel Dan?

noobee
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby noobee » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:56 pm

another fitment option on mine that I like.
Mick
IMG_20180419_112107.jpg
IMG_20180419_112035.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:01 pm

You need to post these in a new thread Dann rather than burying them inside another semi-related one.

Great work as always, making a product that's easy to install and continually improving on it (unlike FM who seem to make a product and sell it unchanged for years no matter how much better it could be with a few minor tweaks - thinking of the MSM downpipe there, it had a 2" choke-point at the turbo flange because it made manufacturing the 2.5" downpipe dead-easy, then they marketed it as a 2.5" downpipe.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”