Kraken cast turbo manifold? ? Any good?

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Kraken cast turbo manifold? ? Any good?

Postby NitroDann » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:23 am

TM3, 3-6 months away.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:37 am

I need a ride in a Gen II GTX2860. I'm fixated on the BW EFRs, but Dann makes the GTX sound just as good for basically half the cost of Trackspeed setup. I'm sure anything will be an improvement over the SE's IHI though.

Dann, those are great pictures. You should do a workshop thread with cars you're building and products you're developing. I do love how stealthy the low mount is, and the fact that the stock heat shield fits over it just completes it, looks so stock.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:51 am

ManiacLachy wrote:I need a ride in a Gen II GTX2860. I'm fixated on the BW EFRs, but Dann makes the GTX sound just as good for basically half the cost of Trackspeed setup. I'm sure anything will be an improvement over the SE's IHI though.

I'm hearing ya, but I fear that a test drive/ride in one of Danns GTX setups will be the death of my bank account :)

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:26 am

NitroDann wrote:TM3, 3-6 months away.

Dann

3 months will be good for me Dann.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:33 pm

Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:09 am

Great vid Brendan, have you ordered their 3" downpipe or doing something else?
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 am

Indeed I have the 3" dump on my car and have mated it up to my existing 3" exhaust.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 am

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:35 pm

I think I was one the first ones to order the lowmount in the original group buy Aug 2019....and eventually got the full 3" exhaust as well with the updated flange on the dump pipe

still got to sort out my inter-cooler & turbo & turbo plumbing

I'm hoping he'll do a inter cooler kit that I can just get without much fuss. Bofi want about $900 for thires :shock:

Kracken low mount.jpg

3 inch exsaust & downpipe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:41 pm

$900 sounds bloody expensive and you'll still probably need to customise it!

The intercooler and plumbing is probably the hardest to produce a kit for due to the different configurations that are possible.
It's also the easiest to DIY.

I recommend:
1. mocking up your hotside and coldside plumbing with cheap silicone hoses and aluminium pipes until you're happy with them (these are cheap on eBay or borrow bits from mates since you can give them back)
2. buying the aluminium pipes you need to make the longest pipes possible without needing silicone connectors and lots of clamps
3. taking the mock-ups and pipes to a welder to weld them up and bead-roll the ends.

Use 2" for the hotside (not much room on that side usually) and 2.5" for the coldside (decent amount of room available).

If you're in Brisbane I can lend you you some of my extra hoses and pipes and I have a bead-roller
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

mx589
Racing Driver

Postby mx589 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:18 am

Stan the man the 3 inch exhaust looks nice.
If you dont mind me asking how much is the 3 inch without shipping postage ?
and how much do they charge to ship a box that big to Australia ?

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:53 am

I cant recall off the top of my head.....probably $900AUD....but let me check that's from the the dump pipe on-wards with a cat delete included. But I think hes stopped the cat delete to reduce his cost.Best go to his site.... prices have changed significantly. I waited for mine for quite a bit cause I was holding off on the exsaust ....something about supply issues with the muffler, then he changed the design of the down-pipe so I waited a bit longer. I was part of the original 1.8 low mount Group buy last year in August. I received it about a month ago. and some quoted werte from over 12 months ago and he keept his word.

he is an honest operator.... but a single man show.....

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am

actually it was considerably cheaper than that.....but as I said that was from a quote over 12 months ago and he kept it. Hes been close to bankrupcy because he does do things very cheap. and he has increased prices since. I paid $480 euros extra for the exhaust part after purchasing the low mount kit with dump pipe.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:12 am

Lokiel wrote:$900 sounds bloody expensive and you'll still probably need to customise it!

The intercooler and plumbing is probably the hardest to produce a kit for due to the different configurations that are possible.
It's also the easiest to DIY.

I recommend:
1. mocking up your hotside and coldside plumbing with cheap silicone hoses and aluminium pipes until you're happy with them (these are cheap on eBay or borrow bits from mates since you can give them back)
2. buying the aluminium pipes you need to make the longest pipes possible without needing silicone connectors and lots of clamps
3. taking the mock-ups and pipes to a welder to weld them up and bead-roll the ends.

Use 2" for the hotside (not much room on that side usually) and 2.5" for the coldside (decent amount of room available).

If you're in Brisbane I can lend you you some of my extra hoses and pipes and I have a bead-roller

Thanks Lockiel, I'm in Sydney and I totally agree with you on the ridiculous price
I dont have a garage....good chance i'll never own one the way things are going....as much as I love taking engines out & mucking about....this one is difficult . so I was hoping I could find a prefabbed kit....to make things easier. I may have to resort to rent5ing a garage for say 3 months & juts do it that way.,

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Intercooler plumbing/configuration is a job BEST done with the engine+turbo+intercooler installed in the engine bay because you'll know exactly what you have to work with and work around, you can't do it with the engine out of the car.
It should only take a day or two of crawling around under the car to come up with your initial mock-ups if you have enough silicone elbows and pipes (the eBay kits are good for this since they have combinations of hose joiners and pipes but I wouldn't want to use their silicone hoses or clamps in the final solution - that's why I've got plenty of spares).

For the final plumbing, you can buy better quality aluminium pipes if you don't like the eBay ones (I didn't and have Aeroflow pipes).
Make sure that the pipes being welded together are the same quality otherwise it'll make the welding more difficult.

Having custom intercooler plumbing is MUCH nicer, it looks cleaner without a bazillion hoses couplers each with 2x hose clamps on them.
My hotside plumbing consists of one single pipe - it takes some finessing to manoeuvre in and out but looks slick with plenty of room around it.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”