Is NitroDann still around

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

16bit
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A - Supercharged

Re: Is NitroDann still around

Postby 16bit » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:39 pm

it happens in all lines of business. my brother in law is a builder and most weeks was paying his guys way more money than he made. so he closed up shop and went back to working commercial. makes more money, works less and no stress.
98 evo gold - rotrexed and loving it.

This post has been printed using recycled pixels

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:21 pm

Yep, hard to run a business, particularly if you do all the work,accounts and the marketing. I don't think it's feasible.

Bianchi-89
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Bianchi-89 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm researching on installing a Turbo in my car at some point next year. Ideally to be a drive-to-track car, do sprints and if I get fast enough, race it on MX-5 cup. (I know, training, seat time and all that, I'm on it, takes time! haha)
Where would you go for that kind of work in Sydney(or Australia?)
Budget wise, would you start with a standard NB, a NB SE or NB SP? I'm asking that because whatever money I invest on installing a turbo on a car I might never recoup when I decide to sell it and perhaps starting from a SE or SP I wouldn't need to invest so much in mods and tuning?
Thanks

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 pm

Bianchi-89 wrote:race it on MX-5 cup.

Research the rules first and build to them. How many of the MX5 cup cars are boosted? Look at staying NA till you cannot get any faster then look at boosting. 2B NA MX5 car around SMSP is around 1:48.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:18 am

On an SE, you pretty much have to replace everything to get somewhat decent power, so it's not a great starting point, there's a lot of out lay. Not too sure about the SP, but they run at a premium price so not really worth making into a track car.

IMO, start with an NB8B (2001-2004), you might need to source an LSD, but everything else is a solid base, VVT motor and a square top intake manifold are indeed a plus over the NB8A.

Speak with the good folk at MX-5 Mania if you're looking for a Sydney build, and consider using a Kraken turbo setup (cast manifold), using either a Garrett or EFR turbo.

But if you don't have a car yet at all, I would put the turbo conversion to the bottom of the list.
Get the car (NB8B), track it.
Do tyres, track it.
Do brakes, track it.
Do suspension, track it.
Add some lightning, track it.

Etc, etc. Then, maybe turbo it. Do the low hanging fruit that will teach you to drive first for a minimal cost.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:03 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Get the car (NB8B), track it.
Do tyres, track it.
Do brakes, track it.
Do suspension, track it.
Add some lightening, track it.
:NETPOINTZ:

Bianchi-89
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Bianchi-89 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:05 pm

I guess I'm on the right track then :-)
Started with a 2003 MX-5,
Installed braided brake lines
Being to 3 track days + regularity coming up
Getting a set of Konig Hypergram 15x7.5 and Hankook RS4 (going 205/50R15)
Super Sprint in September (hopefully)
Planning next steps...
Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Bianchi-89 wrote:Planning next steps...

If going to World Time Attack in October there are 2 MX5's that I know of there, Kendall's boosted MX5 (built by Nitro Dann) and my naturally aspirated MX5 call in and say hi.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Bianchi-89 wrote:I guess I'm on the right track then :-)
Started with a 2003 MX-5,
Installed braided brake lines
Being to 3 track days + regularity coming up
Getting a set of Konig Hypergram 15x7.5 and Hankook RS4 (going 205/50R15)
Super Sprint in September (hopefully)
Planning next steps...
Thanks guys

You're on the right track, just fit some decent brake pads and fluid if you haven't already. 15 x 8 would be a better way to go if you plan on running a 205/50 tyre. It also gives you scope to run a 225/45 later on down the track if you want to.

Nuddy
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Nuddy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Magpie wrote:
Bianchi-89 wrote:race it on MX-5 cup.

Research the rules first and build to them. How many of the MX5 cup cars are boosted? Look at staying NA till you cannot get any faster then look at boosting. 2B NA MX5 car around SMSP is around 1:48.

I havn't been on cartalk for a while. Stumbled across this.
I am the secretary (administrator) for the MX-5 Cup.
If your aim is to race in MX-5 cup don't start with forced induction.
You really need to be able to lap Wakefield Park in 1:16 or less.
I don't mean lap after lap, if you are doing 1:17s all day with a PB around 1:16 you will do fine.
Racing is not all about lap times but racing is the fast track to improving lap times.
1:16 is achievable in a NA8 or NB completely standard on S-spec tyres (road tyres) but it may take a lot of seat time to get there.
I was in too much of a hurry to get racing so I sold my NB and bought a NC. A completely standard NC on S-spec tyres can achieve 1:12s with the right driver but I bought a mildly modified NC which was capable of 1:09s with the previous owner. After a couple of hundred laps of Wakefield I got down to 1:15s and entered the cup.
My recommendation would be to get a NC and do the following:
Braided lines, racing pads, racing fluid, sway bars, 17x9 wheels (I like RPF-1s), 245/40R17 RS4s
then go see what lap times you can achieve.
Do an OPL with Trackschool and get some help from Boz or Len and do your OLT at the same time. I'd be surprised if you didn't get below 1:16
Then you need a race licence. For the cup either will do: CAMS ($550) or AASA ($180) both need OLT and a medical from your GP.
Then back to the car: you need an approved half cage (minimum), bonnet pins, tow hooks (standard NC ones comply), fire extinguisher, decal kit, battery isolator with remote actuation (cables) inside and out, driver's seat, harness, FHR (HANS or Simpson).
Then back to the driver: Approved helmet, gloves, shoes, socks, underwear, race suit.
You could do all the above with a ND if you want to spend that much.
You could use a NA8 or NB which should be cheaper to purchase but will probably find you need to spend more on the engine etc. to quickly achieve the required lap times. We do have naturally aspirated NBs lapping in the low 1:09s in cup races. But we have naturally aspirated NCs (2.5) down to 1:05s. Mildly modified 2.0 NCs can run 1:09s resulting in great racing with the fastest naturally aspirated NBs
So I think the cheapest easiest way to get into MX-5 Cup racing is to go with a NC but if you have a NA8 or NB it's probably best to go with what you have. If you have a NA6 the cheapest easiest performance upgrade is to fit a 1840cc engine.
And the cheapest way by far is to buy my race ready black NC but that's for another thread.
NC 2.5 race/tarmac rally car
NC 2.0 race/tarmac rally car Sold
NB8a Sold
Patrol GUIV TD42tdi for touring and towing
BMW R1200R for daily ride

d-mag
Road Track Rally
Vehicle: ND - Turbo

Postby d-mag » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 am

Magpie wrote:

If going to World Time Attack in October there are 2 MX5's that I know of there, Kendall's boosted MX5 (built by Nitro Dann) and my naturally aspirated MX5 call in and say hi.

You know of 3 now. ;)
Think I'll be the only ND though.
MX5 Wanted. SE or NC (forced induction preferred :twisted: )

noobee
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby noobee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:22 am

d-mag wrote:
Magpie wrote:

You know of 3 now. ;)
Think I'll be the only ND though.

great! see you there.keen to see an ND turbo.
Mick (Kendall's dad)

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Awesome, I'll see you guys there! Will be great to see an ND turbo on track. About the only thing I've been tempted to sell my SE for is an ND RF turbo :)

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Out if couriosity number of places are now doing low mounts. What was the going price for a low mount manifold when Nitro DANN was welding them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

track_addict
Fast Driver

Postby track_addict » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:14 pm

I think I remember seeing $1500 for a manifold and dump, listed on his website. That was some time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
89' Roadster - Sold
'04 SE - Sunlight Silver.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”