Fenix is meeting Darth Vader

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Fenix is meeting Darth Vader

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:14 pm

no :shock:

BOFI-Low-Mount-Turbo-Manifold-Mazda-MX5-1800-Garrett.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: Fenix is meeting Darth Vader

Postby bruce » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Is Feenix going to the Dark Side and getting boosted?

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:17 pm

yes Ive pulled the trigger on the above kit .
its not happenning for some time yet
my guess is march 2020
gotta get my head around engineering.
lots of other upgrades
lots of little purchases from now on.

Bianchi-89
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Bianchi-89 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:17 pm

I'm researching for my NB and was wondering what made you choose a yet to be released kit?

Daffy
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Daffy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:02 am

gotta get my head around engineering

:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:22 am

Bianchi-89 wrote:I'm researching for my NB and was wondering what made you choose a yet to be released kit?

cost, inclusion of NEW Turbo. I like the idea of a low mount.

there is a certain amount of risk. Company might go broke between now & then.

I had some questions about Kraken. Never got a reply. Kraken was the other one I was serioullsly considering.
Kraken hotside kit has a real good cast iron manifold & cast iron dump pipe......but does not include turbo

I also considered a local option. But no one had their sh*t together. It takes days to get info. I have no problems waiting for a product if that's what it takes. But the information needs to be instant. I had the money burning a hole in my pocket. As next week the family may have needed the money for something else and that would been that. unfortunately for the local option it was a case of needing commitment for their option when really what I wanted was all the options in front of me without feeling obliged to anyone. Now I'm committed. Its going to happen.

I also like the way BOFI -Engineering has a lot of information about the product they sell. The journey of the product. sharing information. The questions i had were answered immediately with passion. Yes it could all be sh*t they are saying . But with information these days& internet, unless you are serious about what you do. Youre not going to bother with a massive blog about each product you sell on the site.
if this goes well I'll probably seriously consider the forged h beam rod kit they sell on the site.

in the days of internet. Information has to be instant. Price has to be good,you are competing on the global stage.

sounds like a rant huh? yea I thought about this long & hard. its a pity the local option didn't get a chance to get off the ground.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am

Daffy wrote:
gotta get my head around engineering

:mrgreen:

OMG thats soooo funny. the line, the little kid going shotgun.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:15 am

StanTheMan wrote:I had some questions about Kraken. Never got a reply. Kraken was the other one I was serioullsly considering.
Kraken hotside kit has a real good cast iron manifold & cast iron dump pipe......but does not include turbo

I've had good responses from Kraken, but I gather his comms are a bit hit and miss. We'll talk more tomorrow :wink:

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Well I feel like a clown.
kit does not include turbo.....

Bofi Engineering applied refund. Thats very good of them.

I think I'll just have a rest this weekend

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Put the spectacles on Stan!

Bianchi-89
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Bianchi-89 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:54 pm

sounds like a rant huh? yea I thought about this long & hard. its a pity the local option didn't get a chance to get off the ground.

I totally agree to that. I would prefer to go to a local shop but only overseas products are coming up on my searches.
Good luck! I hope all goes well, I could take the same route sometime next year

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:49 am

Doh! We'll get the brains trust together tonight and we'll talk you into boost of some kind :mrgreen:

That's good that Bofi gave you no grief about the refund, might be a good company to keep in mind for the future.

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Looks a lot like a locally designed low-mount. Wonder if we are thinking the same local?
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Got the refund this morning.

yes the local solution is the one you're probably thinking of. But its up to them to get it off the ground. It is a business decision. Money is one part of it. reliable supply and warranty is another. And it has to be profitable for every party. Easier said than done. Were talking about small business & cottage industry.

I'd love it if we could get a local Lowmount with a divorced dump-pipe solution at a competitive price. no one seems to have that at least.Not even overseas.

But since I had funds burning a hole in my pocket. I'm going for a Kracken.

Alex 2550
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Alex 2550 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:17 am

"slap a turbo on that thing and your journey to the darkside will be complete!" :lol:

didn't see this coming mate, as you know i'm also going the road of artificial aspiration hence the bit more mild TODA's than what i was planning, i now have TODA adjustable cam gears (thanks 3gress :beer: ) to dial out some overlap, are you thinking of doing the same with your cams?.
My 10.5:1 compression may be harder to work around but i want more of a GT style car than a race car so sensible boost and realistic expectations i should be happy. should be nice under the curve and still have torque off boost.

i really wanted a NitroDann setup (and tune) but that looks like its not an option anymore due to the other thread in this section (Shame was talented and a great guy), maybe he will do batches every now and then like a group buy or appoint someone to make the legendary Twist mount set up.

if you end up going back to the BOFI just check that the "notching" of the frame (engine bay tool/stubby shelf) isn't required like the FM one, if you don't know what i mean look at either FM's install instructions or Adam from Revlimiters turbo install write up.

i recently got some FM parts that aren't available from our good sponsors and was really happy with the service but i would be worried about that "Notching" come engineering time. Kraken looks like a good option with the 3 inch for faster spool as written many times over at MT and everywhere else.
you will be fine with your megasquirt as your ability to learn things and figure it out is inspiring. :shock:

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”