Hotside turbo kits

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Hotside turbo kits

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Finally a local solution unfortunately too late for me but that will not stop me from talking about it.

I know there are cheaper ways of doing it. I know @speed from this forum has done a excellent job with bobs & bits. His car flies.

but here we have 3 systems
all low mount
have different features
all decent quality in my opinion

Nitro Danns system sold at Mx5 mania
cost $1599
Stainless Steel Manfold
3"Divorced Dump pipe
Made in Australia
NitroDanns Twistmount 2.PNG

Kraken Lowmount
Cost $1360 shipped globally
Cast Iron Manifold
3"inch Dump pipe
Made in Bulgaria
Kraken Lowmount & Dump pipe.jpg

Bofi Racing
Cost $1700 shipped
Stainless Steel Manifold
3" dump pipe
Made in the UK
BOFI-Low-Mount-Turbo-Manifold-Mazda-MX5-1800-EFR-600x600.jpg

all are very similar.None have a turbo supplied with them. LOL :roll: :oops: sure thier makers will probably say thiers is better.

I do like Nitro Danns Twismount dump pipe.
I love the Kraken Cast Iron Manifpold
I do know the manifold of the Bofi & Kraken are identical in designs except 1 is Stainless Steel the other is cast Iron.

If Nitro Danns was around 3 weeks ago I would have had a serious decision. Kraken is a cast iron manifopld. But nitro Dan has the twistmound. I like both. But ive gone for the Kraken.

discuss, thoughts, opinions. please refrain from soiling anyone name or work here. I know we have freedom of expression but please do it somewhere else. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

slug_dub
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Hotside turbo kits

Postby slug_dub » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:18 am

Patchy gets boooost? \o/
The American wrote:hella sic stance flushing pard harker yolo something something.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:49 pm

I like Dann's DP, I don't understand the reasoning behind the divorced dump but I'm sure it's valid. What I like is how direct the dump is with very few bends. I always like Dann's work.

I like the Kraken because it's cast, super strong and quite cheap for what it is. This guy is really putting in work right now, he has manifolds for different generations of MX-5, different mounts, different turbos, creates downpipes for them (some with a cast elbow even), and will fab a whole exhaust in 3" if you like. I think he even does full IC kits for NAs.

The Bofi seems like they're asking too much IMO. It's the most expensive and it doesn't even exist yet, it's untested.

A Dann DP with a Kraken manifold would be best :mrgreen:

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:15 pm

I think the divorced dump pipe its aimed at better response?

at least we now know we still have Nitro Danns fabrication skills available. I wonder if they could talk about a cold air box for the NA.....in aluminum.....so i can polish it. :lol:

that's a hint....in case Simone is reading. :D

Alex 2550
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Alex 2550 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:41 am

Well done mate!
Did you go the older higher mount Kraken or the new lower mount one?.

The new lower mount one I believe requires the housing where the radiator hose connects to be modified but I think it’s a better idea with a straighter dump pipe, always pros and cons and the guys are working hard on a quality product with no failures so far that I have heard.

I think I’ll be going Danns when the time comes just because he has given me advice in the past and been great help so I would like to support him, as far as workmanship the welds on the washer bottle I got from him are just drool worthy.

I think Danns twistmount will handle all the abuse I can throw at it.

The pros for me is
Locally made.
I like the look.
I like the design.
I can connect it to the hole in my firewall a little easier than the other options due to turbo placement.

In saying this if Dann stops supplying I’ll also go the Kraken.

Very excited for you mate, this will get interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby shirtz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:28 pm

as a bit of a MX% turbo newb, whats the benefits of twistmount?

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:47 pm

I believe it's about exhaust flow. The gasses more easily exit the turbo due to a more direct path with reduced turns. A top mount has to take an almost 90* bend straight down, then another bend back to get under the car. The low mounted twist mount is much straighter.

How much of a difference it makes, and if its really noticeable I'm not sure.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:07 pm

(I wrote a huge post that would have bored most people and deleted it and wrote this)

Comparing common manifold styles there are clear compromises made.

The compromises which are often chosen are based on marketability rather than theory or testing. In terms of manifolds the most common popular design seen is the equal length long tube manifold, either high mount or low mount. This design is particularly popular among casual enthusiasts because everyones favourite serious race machines use this design. Dedicated competition racecars have a few things in common with one another but not in common with the typical turbocharged mx5.

If you want maximum performance across a narrow powerband such as in everyones favourite dedicated racecars, you use a big turbo, and with a big turbo you get a narrow performance window, so you have a close ratio gearbox and you make design choices which help to further concentrate the powerband at the top end. You use big diameter runners, and you build the manifold like a set of headers, long, tuned equal length and this can be done really nicely. Take this F1 car engine for example.

Now compare it to a similar design contorted to fit inside an MX5 engine bay:

Another consideration is that the exhaust ports are angled upwards and yet the manifold above immediately bends very sharply downward.

You just cannot fit a long tube equal length manifold in an MX5 engine bay using typical racecar design, so even if we were using a big enough turbo and camshafts, sequential gearbox etc our longtube manifold will have compromises in the form of many bends, reducing efficiency, unlike our F1 example above.
In a longtube MX5 manifold you have 90* turns immediately after the exhaust enters the manifold and a total amount of turns exceeding one degrees, with 4-5 feet of tube. The exhaust ports are angled up, and many of these manifolds immediately bend sharply down, its not well thought out design.
Additionally, the large surface area of such a big manifold means a lot of heat energy is radiated out from it heating the engine bay and reducing energy which we want to use to spool the turbo, typically meaning later response at low rpm. A Twistmount uses 3 feet of tube and less than half as many bends, and the runners come out of the engine matching the exhaust port angle for much better gas flow.

The twistmount also gives an extremely straight downpipe path meaning better flow for both power and response, and overall packaging is much nicer and easier to deal with.

So basically the twistmount is designed specifically to get the results MX5 owners need for performance and many popular designs are made based on what is popular on dedicated racecars. Most turbocharged performance cars have turbochargers which take a little while to come onto boost, sharply ramp up onto boost, and then taper off flat at the top end. Take this SR20 dyno for example, You can see the turbo building up, the dyno chart starts off looking like a skateboard ramp as it winds up onto boost:

Then watch this MX5 dyno using a twistmount.

This comparison is extremely fair, the SR20 is 2L uses a very well respected long tube manifold by 6Boost, and has a garrett GTX2863r tuned by a very reputable local tuner.
The MX5 is 1.8L, uses a Twistmount and has a slightly larger GTX2867r, which should mean less response, but notice the way the MX5 performs as the run starts with silky smooth power and absolutely no skateboard ramp at all climaxing at over 450whp.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:24 pm

That's the kind of classic Dann post we've been missing lately!

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Great info as usual Dann.

So are your twistmount manifolds going to be available through MX5 Mania for the foreseeable future?

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:13 pm

So long as mania keep asking me for more.

Its a design that really performs how the MX5 community wants and it would be a shame for everyone to have to go back to overseas parts and AVO kits.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:23 pm

Thanks as well Dann for the phone chat! Working on plan/budget :)

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38 pm

Also welcome back! Hope everything going OK.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:22 pm

yep, is good to hear he's still around the MX5 community

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Thank you so much for your input Dann

Curious as to what solutions are required with the water pump neck. I believe most turbos will get in the way.....for the Kracken version at least the neck needs to be shortened.

are there ready made solutions for this or do I need to get it shortened at a welding shop?

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”