Turbo Flutter/slow BOV

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Turbo Flutter/slow BOV

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:11 pm

lambertius wrote:I just had a thought - have you replaced the OEM air box?

Just a little... :lol:
Turbosmart reckon its the all metal intake acting like a trumpet amplifying the sound. I drilled and tapped the rear of the intake manifold last night with a 5/16 barb with that size hose running all the way to the BPV. Will give it a test run tomorrow and see if there's any difference.
MeepMeep

lambertius
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lambertius » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:54 am

Rightyo, so on the standard filter box there is a little pipe to nowhere. That is a helmholtz resonator and it knocks out a lot of resonant tones from the engine. The SP doesn't have one, and it also has a short run to the turbo inlet.

I would hazard to guess that you are indeed amplifying the sound of the turbo with your airbox.

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:46 pm

Yep I believe that's it. It's just annoying. Would much prefer the typical Psst noise but the chopped air noise is just so much louder at anything over 5psi.
MeepMeep

Techno
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Techno » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:38 pm

Hi there,
Can you post a picture of the plumbing set-up at the BOV .... If you are using the the bottom port for inflow then the pressure can lift the seal depending on the BOV spring rating. New turbo puts out more pressure .... so you may have the seal lifting early.

I prefer to use the side port for the inlet as the pressure effectively pushes the seal down and the diaphram up equally.. so no seal lifing

You might like to know that Mazda SPs were plumbed with the side port as the inlet port ... see picture from Mazda site here

Regards
Rob

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:35 pm

Hi Rob, the Turbosmart Compact valve is a pressure differential valve and must be installed the way it is in the photos on the first post of this thread.
It’s been verified to open instantly when pressure drops on the signal side. Holding pressure under boost isn’t the issue.
Turbosmart have advised me that everything I have is connected correctly and it’s likely the larger intercooler and all metal intake amplifying the choochoo noise.
One day I might be bothered enough to put the BOV on the hot side of the intercooler to test.
MeepMeep

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”