Oil Feed and Water Lines Td05H 16G evo 5

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

chino
Driver

Oil Feed and Water Lines Td05H 16G evo 5

Postby chino » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:12 am

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a turbo kit which didn't have the oil and water lines. The Td05 turbo came from a Evo 5 which I have verified through this list https://www.turbomaster.info/eng/applic ... series.php

I have been unable to get the oil and water lines from the usual vendors such as Mx5 mania, me motorsports, kraken, bofi, flyin miata so I thought I should see what the community has to recommend. Most of the Td04 or td05 oil/water kits are for the subaru turbos.

Has anyone got a source I could turn to? It looks like I will have to build my own lines.

Thanks in advance
1989 na6 Electric Orange
2005 Evolution 8 MR Gun metal grey
Hoping the mx5 will be faster!

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Oil Feed and Water Lines Td05H 16G evo 5

Postby Lokiel » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:57 pm

It's not hard to DIY your own water and oil lines if you use hose and barb fittings (plenty of on-line help) - hard lines require welding.

Here's a video from one of out own alumni that describes DIY oil hoses:

My tips are:
1. avoid stainless steel hoses unless there is absolutely NO chance they will contact anything (they're also a hassle to ensure that all braids on the ends are tucked into the fittings)
2. aluminium fittings from SpeedFlow or Aeroflow are fine but be sure to use aluminium tools when tightening them to avoid tearing them up
3. SpeedfFlow hoses are more flexible than Aeroflow hoses so are more useful when tight bends are required
4. fittings are expensive so take your time to identify what you'll need to avoid wasting money on them
5. DON'T "Cheap Out" on fittings, they WILL leak, buy reputable brands

Put your location in your signature, locals may be able to help or lend you their aluminium tools (ie. vice clamp holder, spanners)
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

chino
Driver

Re: Oil Feed and Water Lines Td05H 16G evo 5

Postby chino » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:49 am

Lokiel wrote:It's not hard to DIY your own water and oil lines if you use hose and barb fittings (plenty of on-line help) - hard lines require welding.

Here's a video from one of out own alumni that describes DIY oil hoses:

My tips are:
1. avoid stainless steel hoses unless there is absolutely NO chance they will contact anything (they're also a hassle to ensure that all braids on the ends are tucked into the fittings)
2. aluminium fittings from SpeedFlow or Aeroflow are fine but be sure to use aluminium tools when tightening them to avoid tearing them up
3. SpeedfFlow hoses are more flexible than Aeroflow hoses so are more useful when tight bends are required
4. fittings are expensive so take your time to identify what you'll need to avoid wasting money on them
5. DON'T "Cheap Out" on fittings, they WILL leak, buy reputable brands

Put your location in your signature, locals may be able to help or lend you their aluminium tools (ie. vice clamp holder, spanners)

Thanks mate, someone did reach out to me and advised me of a local place I could go to. I was hoping for this to happen as I want to find the quality parts which will be reliable.

Your point 4 and 5 are the exact reasons why I was trying to go to the reliable vendors but I completely agree, the non stainless steel pathway is exactly what I wanted to avoid.
1989 na6 Electric Orange
2005 Evolution 8 MR Gun metal grey
Hoping the mx5 will be faster!

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”