nitrodann V2 manifold - longevity?

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

nitrodann V2 manifold - longevity?

Postby shirtz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:43 pm

hi guys i posted this on FB but thought id ask here. have the opportunity to buy a brand new V2 manifold and down pipe. Do owners recommend them for longevity? any help would be great. i know cast is better in theory, but steel also has its place and is certainly tried and tested if done well.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: nitrodann V2 manifold - longevity?

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:06 pm

A friend of mine has the TwistMount v2, and I'm getting a Kraken highmount installed currently, those are my datapoints.

My friend's TM has given him no troubles in his NB running a 2860R, it sits nice and low in the engine bay and hasn't had any issues. But he hasn't tracked the car, it mostly sees mountain runs and commuter traffic, so isn't subjected to continues high heat. I suspect the TM will eventually succumb to cracks, especially if dríven hard on track, but even over time from street use. Welds will eventually fatigue.

The cast Kraken is definietly a better product. I went with it primarily because I wanted to run an EFR, but the Garrett GTX GenII range is now so good that they would be a good alternative, and of course you can run them on the TM if you get the appropriate DP.

Depending on the price difference and the use of the car, you might decide the money you saved is more important than eventual maintenance on the mani, or vice versa.

IMO, if you're going to track the car often, or drive it particularly hard then spend the extra and get the Kraken. If you just want street power for a few pulls and mountain runs, then the NitroDann manifold should be fine.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:07 pm

Oh, another consideration: How patient are you? Kraken has a bit of a lead time right now, probably 1-3 months, where as I expect the NitroDann manifold is ready for pick up?

StuwieP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StuwieP » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:06 pm

If you do go the TM (I have one but limited use yet for... reasons!) just make sure it has the brace(s) that Dann included (probably to take stress off the mani and increase longevity).

There's one that bolts to the turbo housing and supports off the engine mount (yes longer bolt required for the mount).

And a second further along the downpipe braced against the gearbox using a large U-bolt that clamps around the downpipe itself.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby shirtz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:40 pm

thank you both for your comments. as the car is tracked and id like do do it more, ill continue to save up for the kraken.

cheers!

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”