Begi Air Intake Filter

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

Begi Air Intake Filter

Postby Roadrunner » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:57 pm

Does anyone here run the Begi turbo intake filter box on their SE?
If so what filter do you use in it?

MeepMeep

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Re: Begi Air Intake Filter

Postby greenMachine » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:41 pm

I have a Unifilter in my modified Nitrodann filter box. Pretty sure there is a photo in my build thread. It is more or less the same configuration as yours.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:13 am

I have a NitroDann box. Wanting to move away from the unifilter due to it constantly sucking filter oil into the intake piping. Only small amounts but I don’t want the sticky tacky oil anywhere near the turbo impeller. Even happens with the brand new pre oiled filter I got off unifilter. It also rubs the seam join on the body which started to wear a hole in the original one.
There’s a monstrous amount of different K&N filters and the website isn’t that great (hate websites that only search by your car model). Figured if a particular model k&n fits in the Begi box, it’ll give me an idea of what models/dimensions to look at to fit.
MeepMeep

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:58 am

I have not noticed that, I going to have a look in my piping to see if that shows up - I may end up following suit.

It is certainly a cautionary tale for ensuring only minimum oil remains on/in the filter after re-oiling. Presumably the problem is a result of high air velocity through the filter medium, in which case fitting the largest filter practicable would help by spreading that volume of air over the larger area.

Build thread

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:07 am

I had a Uni on my Nitrodann intake, when I checked it some years back it was soaked in oil. I swapped it for a K&N which worked well.

Now on my Kraken setup with an intake fabbed up by Daffy's man Daz, I believe running a K&N here too, or similar, inside the reused ND airbox.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:33 am

I've used both K&N and Uni in mine and had the same oil problems with the Uni. The K&N supplied with my Begi kit was massive, but it seemed to do a good job.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:39 am

I had the same problems with a Unifilter. You can reduce the amount of oil by sitting the filter on a pile of newspaper for a few days, it sucks/drains the excess oil out.
The US K&N website lists a few hundred different filters.

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:32 pm

KevGoat wrote:I've used both K&N and Uni in mine and had the same oil problems with the Uni. The K&N supplied with my Begi kit was massive, but it seemed to do a good job.

Ohh I didn’t think of an oval shaped filter. That would get more surface area too. I was only thinking cone shaped due to the rising angle of the inner guard.
Do you know the model number of that K&N filter?
MeepMeep

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:35 pm

Not offhand, but I'll take a look as soon as I get a free moment this arvo

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:24 pm

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:49 pm

That is a huge help. Thank you!
MeepMeep

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:41 pm

greenMachine wrote:I have not noticed that, I going to have a look in my piping to see if that shows up - I may end up following suit.

All I have here is the coldside IC plumbing, no sign of oil there. It may not (yet) have made it through that far though, so further investigation to follow when I next visit Mania.

Having said that, the inlet side and the compressor to IC will need some mods at the very least, maybe a new bigger air cleaner element would be a smart move anyway, oil or no oil.

I wish it were possible to do a cowl intake, improved sound and more room but routing is the problem.

Build thread

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:57 pm

This is the amount of oil I get in the pipe between the air box and turbo inlet (inlet pipe is welded to the turbo) after 1000 or so Kms.
And it’s not blowby as it’s not connected to the intake pipe.

MeepMeep

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:57 pm

Right so this is starting to fall into the "can I be bothered" basket.
The NitroDann intake uses 2.5in pipe and its kinda crammed right up in the back corner of the air box. This means the widest filter I can fit is 115mm absolute maximum. This rules out the RU-1500 even with a 2.5 to 2.75 adaptor as it's way too wide, possibly too long as well.
Length is also an issue. Because the airbox goes further back (almost hard against the strut brace riser) the guard at this point inside the box is much higher than where the filter is in the Begi box. Because of this the A/C hard line is smack in the middle of the height of the filter mount and with the raised seam on the guard means 100mm long, maaaybe up to 120mm long might just fit but it would need to taper down to 100mm O.D on the top to not rub the seam, so it's something I'd need to test fit first before buying.
Using the K&N filter size search, seems the filters are either 100mm or 150mm long. I'm halfway in between to suit the space.

There there's flow / surface area. The Unifilter filters from the top as well, but the K&Ns are pleated so technically more surface area around the outside?? Don't want to cause a flow restriction going a smaller filter...
A bit more measuring and thought required. Maybe I'll get some cardboard and make myself some fake filters to see what will fit. Or maybe I'll put the lid back on and not look down the intake pipe again.

MeepMeep

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”