NB SE air-con

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

MrBrad
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

NB SE air-con

Postby MrBrad » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:45 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post in but as its a turbo.. Has anyone had any experience faulting an air-con on a NB SE before - Mine keeps blowing the high pressure line return thing apparently.

I've had awesome air-con with this car for ages. The high pressure line from the compressor to the condensor keeps leaking. Initially the air-con place recrimped the line and re-gassed. (air-con was great for 6 days). The same line leaked again. Then they replaced the high pressure hose itself. The air-con lasted less than two days before failing again - leaking dye etc so it is clear where its leaking from.

They have pressure tested, left the system with nitrogen overnight and held pressure. ran the car (i imagine in the shop, and probably a short drive - no doubt crunching into third :? )

As far as i'm aware the compressor, condensor etc are all original - save for the dry receiver thing. Their solution, which sounds like a guess is: The compressor is spiking pressure when its under load, hot and being dríven for a while. So replace the compressor and things should be good... trouble is i'm not sure whether we are just having a stab or replacing this compressor will just mask the underlying issue. Along with the SE compressor seems to be slightly different to the 'normal' NB8B/C models - I imagine this is because of the turbo bits on an SE.

any ideas, thoughts, help would be greatly appreciated - I'm located in WA if anyone knows a gun for air-con!

Cheers
Brad

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Me too!

Postby greenMachine » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:43 pm

Another SE owner with dead a/c here :cry: - my problem seems to be the compressor, or the controlling electronics not turning it on. It is a work-in-progress ...

Yes, I believe the SE compressor is smaller than the regular NB one, other than that I know nothing!

My only suggestion would be to get a second opinion, so hopefully the gun a/c shop will be identified here soon! Have you reached out to the local MX5 community over there?

Sorry I can't be more helpful, will be following with interest though! 8)

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Re: NB SE air-con

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:17 am

Oh, to have good A/C in an SE! Surely that's the dream, not 300whp :mrgreen:

I had a bunch of A/C hosing work done after my turbo swap. The A/C is slightly cooler than the ambient air, the system is working, but it's not cold so something still isn't right.

I would love to have it working well, I just don't take the MX-5 out in QLD summer (and WA is looking even hotter right now!).

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:49 pm

My SE aircon works well on open roads in heat, but around town in traffic, it struggles. It's by far the best of the MX's I've owned, but I still don't drive it on a hot day. My son's ND RF, by comparison, is awesome. Mazda has obviously fitted a much more efficient fan as there is much more air flow, so it holds the in car temperature way better.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

MrBrad
Fast Driver

Postby MrBrad » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:25 pm

Yeah when the air con is working it is unreal - it gets too cold actually!

its strange because both high pressure hoses have been replaced. if the air-con works when its gassed and there's no problem with the TX valve, compressor (because its doing its job and pumping/cooling), the condenser isn't leaking - and like i say its working. Then to me its kind of starting like how that high pressure hose is connected isn't right. if it spiked in pressure etc then surely the hose itself would split. not the connector?

any one wrecking an SE haha

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:04 pm

MrBrad wrote:any one wrecking an SE haha

Ring Mania, there one being wrecked there recently.

Build thread

Shambler
Fast Driver

Postby Shambler » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:38 pm

Haven’t logged in for years but have just had this issue myself.

Local aircon shop noted the gas had leaked out on mine so refilled it. After that, they also noticed the spike in pressure after a few minutes of running.

He reckons that the radiator fans aren’t operating correctly in my car, specially the low speed mode which is usually used for the aircon. As a hack, he’s wired up the high speed relay to come on when the ecu / aircon kicks in.

So far, I’ve still got cold air, but I’m conscious the motors will likely burn out at some stage.

Anyone got any recommendations for replacement radiator fans? Mania has new ones but they’re $$$!

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:07 pm

I have fan motors coming out of my ears, if that is what you want.

SPAL seem to be popular as aftermarket, don't know where the deals are though.

I am having my aircon checked out at mania as part of the new ecu install - not sure where my problem is, hopefully the new ecu will operate it and then all I have to do is get a new pipe made up to accommodate the different turbo. 8)

Build thread

Shambler
Fast Driver

Postby Shambler » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:12 pm

Came across SPAL in my search, no luck finding out which one would suit the SE yet, I do like the idea of brushless though!

2nd hand might be the trick in my case, though it doesn't look like all that many SEs in Aus swap them over as the OEM kit is pretty decent anyway so probably not many floating around

Fingers crossed its something simple!

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:39 am

Mania replaced my cracked/leaking condenser when the engine was out and had the Ultratune next door regas it. Has been nice and cold for years now. 300hp and cold AC - the dream is achievable! (if only I could get a higher power cabin fan like the ND has!)
I do know of one fellow with an SE where the compressor failed, was unserviceable and a new replacement unit was over $1,500.00 ex Japan as the standard NB one wouldn't fit. That was also diagnosed by Mania.
Fingers crossed it's not the compressor.
MeepMeep

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:45 am

Roadrunner wrote: Fingers crossed it's not the compressor.

Everything is crossed that it is not the compressor!

I hadn't heard that figure, but I have heard of people needing a Bex and a good lie down when they got the quote :cry: :shock:

Build thread

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:33 pm

Wonder what the part number is, as you could do a search on Amayama. Or do a generic search to see what other cars use the same compressor?

dzzb
Learner Driver

Postby dzzb » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:51 am

I recently replaced compressor due to front seal leak. Cost was about 430, not that horrific. See pic for p/n

dzzb
Learner Driver

Postby dzzb » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:42 pm

dzzb wrote:I recently replaced compressor due to front seal leak. Cost was about 430, not that horrific. See pic for p/n

OK, pic did not come through - Number was CXS3089 (SANDEN P/N 3089)

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:24 pm

dzzb wrote:I recently replaced compressor due to front seal leak. Cost was about 430, not that horrific. See pic for p/n

Welcome to our little forum!

Did you do the job yourself, or have a shop do it? If the latter, might be useful to someone to know who, and whether you are happy with the job - see above comments on how well the SE aircon works. You might also put your location in your profile.

Build thread

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”