Designing a locost style Lotus 7 Replica

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

bigdog
King of the kennel
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby bigdog » Wed May 21, 2008 4:24 pm

For those that haven't seen it, this is my clubbie in action at Oran Park....

Marvin - '02 Silver SP - BD, PSS9, Guru, Build #62 Cardomain

Caffeine
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re:

Postby Caffeine » Wed May 21, 2008 5:18 pm

bigdog wrote:Time for a trip to chez Bigdog Caff - you can have a good look over my clubman and a test sit - but if I fit then you will too :oops: :roll: Lots to be learned from looking at someone else's interpretation of the genre. Let me know when you want a looksee... :D I have a copy of the original book too if you haven't read it.

That sounds fantastic John! I'd love to come and have a sneak peek! :D

BJ will probably want to have a look too, he's thinking clubman but with his engine :shock:
Supreme Blue NB8B, 1:16.98 at Wakefield when stock, but it's not stock any more...

Boags
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Boags » Wed May 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Caffeine wrote:BJ will probably want to have a look too, he's thinking clubman but with his engine :shock:

Does he have some insane idea that traction is his mortal enemy? :evil: :shock:
Spartan Motor Sport : http://www.SpartanMS.com.au

anmiller

Postby anmiller » Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 pm

My Westfield is still for sale. If you want to get into a road registered one quickly.

Cheers,

Andrew.

bigdog
King of the kennel

Postby bigdog » Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 pm

You can never have too much horsepower or too little weight eh Caff?? :shock: :P

Andrew obviously hasn't met either of us - there is no way Caff or I would fit in a Westfield without some major tube cutting - hence Caffeine's desire to design a car to fit his (very long) bod.

You and BJ are more than welcome to come on up Caff - BJ knows the street where I live

:D

bjones
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby bjones » Wed May 21, 2008 10:50 pm

The Lurker is back and typing away, Caff you let the cat out of the bag! That's ok I have a toy to fix that cat too, (insert evil laugh bang evil laugh)

Andrew nearly sold it mate if it had a NB8B engine in it and rego'd...itll be living in western sydney by now.

Boags , Tractions only an issue if you run out of rubber oh and its easily controlled with the right foot. And fun to find the limits.

Im thinking more along the lines of a PRB Ive been invited to look at an s2000 powered one, and when I said interesting Id put my engine in it instead , he laughed until the specs where spoken about...He said something along the same lines and then said could be damn interesting drive though.

John I guess Caff and I will be seeing you soon , thanks for the invite mate....

BJ
Playing with BOOST will smoke your tyres!!!
NO LONGER MINE sob sob

Caffeine
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Caffeine » Wed May 21, 2008 10:51 pm

bigdog wrote:You and BJ are more than welcome to come on up Caff - BJ knows the street where I live

:D

Well he's just found out you have a clubman, I think he's about to explode! :D

Do you have some free time this weekend?
Supreme Blue NB8B, 1:16.98 at Wakefield when stock, but it's not stock any more...

Matty
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Matty » Wed May 21, 2008 11:14 pm

bigdog wrote:For those that haven't seen it, this is my clubbie in action at Oran Park....

So I'm guessing the name bigdog comes from the driver and not the car? :shock:
:lol:
Is the car cornering or is the lean just due to the ballast?

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Wed May 21, 2008 11:55 pm

nahh its an optical illusion because of that selfish roll bar :lol: :lol:
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Thu May 22, 2008 12:14 am

If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Caffeine
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Caffeine » Thu May 22, 2008 10:39 am

Nice one! but I think he needs to work on his circlework technique some more... :D

silvermiata
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby silvermiata » Thu May 22, 2008 11:20 am

caffeine,

this project is the reason why i want to go and learn welding, and why i want to buy a house with a big garage...

i have been planning to build a locost for the last 4 years.. and i will do it as soon as i move into a house.. :evil:

i think with the costs part, you need to be very patient and wait for the right parts to buy it off forums, ebay and/or trading post...imho if you are patient, and wait you can cut down the cost by half...

bigdog
King of the kennel

Re:

Postby bigdog » Thu May 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Matty wrote:[So I'm guessing the name bigdog comes from the driver and not the car? :shock:
:lol:
Is the car cornering or is the lean just due to the ballast?

*Slap* :lol:

Yes it is cornering, and yes Bigdog refers to my size and weight :oops: :roll: Hence the use of a very lightweight car - if only it had more than 95bhp :mrgreen:

Caff - I'll be around on the weekend, need to mow the lawns etc. I'll PM you the address and mobile number.

And Okibi, the bar is only selfish if you have a potential passenger, and I haven't found anyone yet who wanted to ride in that seat :shock: :lol:

Blue94t
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Blue94t » Thu May 22, 2008 1:18 pm

I have a full set of CAD drawings for a Locost on CD as building one is definately on my to do list.
I am happy to provide copies if people want but I don't have anywhere to upload it to.
Jake

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Thu May 22, 2008 1:23 pm

Don't worry BD, i'll be your wingman any day :lol: ... the extra ballast may help with that lean.

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”