Designing a locost style Lotus 7 Replica

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

Caffeine
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Caffeine » Tue May 27, 2008 3:28 pm

Started rebuilding the SolidWorks model of the car, based on discussions and ideas for impreovements we had with Bigdog on the weekend.

Now that we've decided to go with an NC as the donor car I'll be adding a simple, visually approximate but dimensionally accurate model of the NC drivetrain and suspension to the solidworks assembly, and adjusting the chassis to suit the NC hardpoints (i.e. engine / gearbox / diff mounts, suspension pick up points etc)

Has anyone got an NC they don't mind me disassembling to measure stuff? :shock: :P

what fun this is! :D
Supreme Blue NB8B, 1:16.98 at Wakefield when stock, but it's not stock any more...

FMS01
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby FMS01 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:59 pm

I would give some consideration to extra bracing, there's a few non-triangular areas in your chassis model.

This is what ours look like

Alex
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Alex » Tue May 27, 2008 9:44 pm

Caffeine wrote:Started rebuilding the SolidWorks model of the car, based on discussions and ideas for impreovements we had with Bigdog on the weekend.

Now that we've decided to go with an NC as the donor car I'll be adding a simple, visually approximate but dimensionally accurate model of the NC drivetrain and suspension to the solidworks assembly, and adjusting the chassis to suit the NC hardpoints (i.e. engine / gearbox / diff mounts, suspension pick up points etc)

Has anyone got an NC they don't mind me disassembling to measure stuff? :shock: :P

what fun this is! :D

do it 8)

and keep the plans for me, thinking about starting something like this in about 5 years
Red NB8A - BD rollbar - Hardtop

Caffeine
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Caffeine » Tue May 27, 2008 10:28 pm

FMS01 wrote:I would give some consideration to extra bracing, there's a few non-triangular areas in your chassis model.

Oooohhh nice :)

I'm still working on traingulating and bracing, the screenshots from before were very early works in progress...

Looks more like a bird's nest now!

Supreme Blue NB8B, 1:16.98 at Wakefield when stock, but it's not stock any more...

Caffeine
Racing Driver

Postby Caffeine » Tue May 27, 2008 10:50 pm

And when the sketches are converted to tubes...

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Tue May 27, 2008 11:14 pm

I found a prefabbed frame just long enough for you Liam :mrgreen:

If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Boags
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Boags » Wed May 28, 2008 10:41 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spartan Motor Sport : http://www.SpartanMS.com.au

FMS01
Fast Driver

Postby FMS01 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:55 am

you'll need a fair amount of room to get the exhaust out the side of the chassis

unless you go over the top.

Make sure you've got enough room to get the engine/gearbox in in one piece, be a bastard if you couldn't. We made a removable cross brace for the engine bay where the rear of the top wishbones connects the top and bottom frames which helps keep things tied together and makes for easier engine removal. Try and add a diagonal in to the open section where your steering tie rods go through the sides.

Cheers,
Julian[/img]

Caffeine
Racing Driver

Postby Caffeine » Wed May 28, 2008 12:19 pm

Awesome, thanks for the tips :D

Had a quick email conversation with Don (the guy building the NC based locost on page 1), he's given us a few ideas too, and a note to find out whether we need an Australian delivered NC engine to pass emissions checks...

Mokesta
Fast Driver

Postby Mokesta » Wed May 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Take special care with the connection details at the nodes. The solid model shows node connections and all square tubes, whereas the photos show the typical Chapman style round diagonals mounted to one tube, not intersecting at the node.

From chassis work a mate of mine did for a widenend Westfield with a Ferrari V8, the connection detail has a huge influence on overall chassis stiffness. For example a node and beam FEA model will typically predict chassis torsional rigidity that is nearly twice the value measured when the car was B&T tested. The car needed lots of gussets at nodes and more diagonals to pass.

You can use the alloy walls to give stiffness but there is a trade off where you need to drill too many rivet holes to mount the sheets. Once the tubes have that many holes they lose their stiffness.

You'll get better results with all tubes going to the node and putting tapered gussets at all nodes.

M

FMS01
Fast Driver

Postby FMS01 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:00 pm

On that last comment from Mokesta, the FormulaMotorsport chassis (also known as an FMS chassis on other forums) you see in the photos passed the beaming and torsion test in QLD as you see it in the photo's, no paneling req'd.

Cheers,
Julian

PS. Caffeine, what weight does solidworks give you for the chassis? Ours with the CAMS rollbar and all the bracketry was 98kg before the paint went on.

Caffeine
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Caffeine » Wed May 28, 2008 4:15 pm

FMS01 wrote:PS. Caffeine, what weight does solidworks give you for the chassis? Ours with the CAMS rollbar and all the bracketry was 98kg before the paint went on.

Still haven't finished all the tubing & braces, simple tubes without end profiles, no brackets as yet...

1in by 1in by 1.6mm square tube all over, 57kg
1in round tube 'sch 40' (solidworks supplied profile, looks pretty thick walled), 111kg (Edit : just checked, it's 3.4mm thick wall!!)

Screenshot

Boost
Fast Driver

Postby Boost » Wed May 28, 2008 6:50 pm

hey Caffeine, I noticed that you are drawing the members as lines and then getting SW to convert them to RHS. I never knew SW had such a feature? :?
none as yet - looking for a white NA8

Caffeine
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Caffeine » Wed May 28, 2008 6:58 pm

Boost wrote:hey Caffeine, I noticed that you are drawing the members as lines and then getting SW to convert them to RHS. I never knew SW had such a feature? :?

Yep, the 'weldment' feature

Very handy, just pick a sketch line, and select what profile you want, and how you want the ends to be treated (i.e. cut to planar face, or another body etc)

Then solidworks generates a cut list for you, showing you the length and end profile of every tube, and where it fits into the chassis :D

Boost
Fast Driver

Postby Boost » Wed May 28, 2008 7:01 pm

thanks.
I'm also modelling the space frame based on the book. I've model the frame in assembly mode by drawing and extruding each individual members which is so freaking time consuming and it makes doing FEA a pain in the arse. But now with weldments its going to be such a breeze.
Thanks heaps Caffeine!
Last edited by Boost on Wed May 28, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
none as yet - looking for a white NA8

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”