Not quite an MX5

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

Boyracer
MX-5 Encyclopedia
Vehicle: NC

Re: Not quite an MX5

Postby Boyracer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:18 am

Assume it's just for track work??...thought you had to have a 2001 or later engine to get registered.
NC Roadie, NC Racey, ND Racey….and a 30AE

Plus several others in the bone yard...

MX5towreck

Postby MX5towreck » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:08 pm

Hopefully ill have it on the road. About to move to WA where everything is sooooo much easier to get it engineered etc. I shall see how things go there. If I can't get it registered, then I'll have myself some fun at the track, hillclimbs etc.

Already a member of Ozclubbies, as well as the Haynes Roadster forums in the UK for info. Can't wait to get it finished, although with change of job, it might be another year before it gets close.

geofiz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby geofiz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Its not that much easier to get modifications approved here in WA. Give a shout when you get across and come meet some of the locals as well.

:mrgreen:

NA8 - BP4W IHI VJ35, 3.9 Torsen2, Adaptronic - SOLD
NB8A - mostly stock for now

bjones
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby bjones » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:50 pm

I was about to say have fun getting it registered in NSW / VIC / SA they are not allowing any to be registered at this point in time.

QLD you still can JUST.

WA yeah might have to move there they look like the only descent state to actually have someone behing the rubber stamp desk that knows what the hell they are doing and dont rely on some idiot in a suit that knows better apparently.

Have had a good long talk on a number of occassions with the guys at prb australia about this issue.....stuffing stupid government boffin meat heads

BJ
Playing with BOOST will smoke your tyres!!!
NO LONGER MINE sob sob

Black_Penguin
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Black_Penguin » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:58 pm

I know of 3 clubmans that have been registered in NSW in the last 3 months including one last week. They are currently changing the method in which rego is approved so very few cars have passed recently. A lotus 23 replica also recently passed in VIC.
My Garage Thread WP 1:16.1 SMSP South 1:10.0 WSID 15.6

bjones
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby bjones » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Black_Penguin wrote:I know of 3 clubmans that have been registered in NSW in the last 3 months including one last week. They are currently changing the method in which rego is approved so very few cars have passed recently. A lotus 23 replica also recently passed in VIC.

And when was there start biuld date? Makes a hell of a difference.

BJ
Playing with BOOST will smoke your tyres!!!
NO LONGER MINE sob sob

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”