Exocet kit cars using mx5 as a donor

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

spikey
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Exocet kit cars using mx5 as a donor

Postby spikey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9twkLLp3w5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fv ... vYtt8&NR=1

it can be built as a ICV vehicle if you want it licensed for the road, but it would be awesome as a race car weighing in around 66okgs mark.

fastfreddygassit
Waitin' for a mate
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: anyone seen these Exocet kit cars using mx5 as a donor

Postby fastfreddygassit » Wed May 01, 2013 1:24 am

That looks brilliant!
Nice find :BROADY:

05ragtop
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby 05ragtop » Wed May 01, 2013 8:39 pm

That looks like it would be way to much fun for our stodgy government to let us have :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers Johno.
50 shades of Galaxy Grey.

Zcootz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Zcootz » Wed May 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Not sure, you can register an Atom, should be able to do this. May have to be NC based though, could become a bit expensive
With two laps to go then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is.
Murray Walker

Bauer
Fast Driver

Postby Bauer » Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 pm

As a general rule, an ICV will be registered as the year it was built and will need to pass emissions testing laws that are current.

The Exocet uses the NA or NB as the donor so unless you went down an engine transplant path as well, I dont like your chances. There are no Exocets on the road in Australia that I know of (and I have researched these quite a bit) and it is still unknown if it would even pass beam and torsion testing.

MEV have no plans to create anything using an NC. NA's in the UK, though rusty, fetch as little as 2-300 pounds.

I could go on :)
cheers
Stu

deviant
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby deviant » Thu May 02, 2013 10:43 am

05ragtop wrote:That looks like it would be way to much fun for our stodgy government to let us have :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers Johno.

You could register one of these here.

I looked in to them pretty closely a while ago. The manufacturer at the time said he was stopping overseas sales to concentrate on the UK market but there is a company in NZ making them under licence http://exocet.co.nz/

The OEM: http://www.mevltd.co.uk/exocet_gallery.htm

I think you would need to add some more work in to the floor area to get one through our torsion tests. I was more interested in the idea of the race chassis with roll cage anyway and would not bother making it road legal.

It would be a bit of a giggle with a turbo and I also found during my research that with a bit of work you could put a Flyin Miata V8 kit in it.

Due the lack of RWD donor cars most kit car manufacturers are turning to the MX5 for a donor....MNR, Westfield, Road Runner Racing etc etc.

mazmad
Racing Driver

Postby mazmad » Thu May 02, 2013 1:40 pm

deviant wrote:I looked in to them pretty closely a while ago. The manufacturer at the time said he was stopping overseas sales to concentrate on the UK market but there is a company in NZ making them under licence http://exocet.co.nz/
Nice find. Worlds most boring (and annoying) video on the NZ site but great concept.

Particularly like this bit
It weighs about 65% of the donor. The increase in power to weight vastly improves acceleration and braking, and sharpens cornering.
Hmm the mexer isn't too shabby already in two out of three of those. Nice! :D

Bauer
Fast Driver

Postby Bauer » Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 pm

And fyi, the green exocet in the NZ video has already been written off. Tom was ok, pride took a hit.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
cheers
Stu

mazmad
Racing Driver

Postby mazmad » Thu May 02, 2013 2:52 pm

On a wet road with some joker waving a camera under his nose? :shock: (as per their video.....)

aka_juffa
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby aka_juffa » Thu May 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Noice.

Flyin' Miata has announced that they will be teaming up with Exocet to work on further development of the product.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.ph ... did=491999

As a side note, a ex-work mate built a Lotus 7 type Clubman using NB8B driveline and suspension components. With the help of an authorised engineer he was able to get it certified for the road in Victoria last year.

J.
Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Fri May 03, 2013 10:12 am

using the mx5 engine shouldn't be an issue as long as the emissions controllers from the donor car are kept, and the stock ecu. once it's registered, doesn't mean it will stay that way. i think it would be the occupant protection that would cause a bigger problem.

sailaholic
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8

Postby sailaholic » Fri May 03, 2013 2:31 pm

I think DOT only allow engines of less then a certain age to be used. I know guys build kit car cobras can't use old carby engines, have to use something reasonably modern.

spikey
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby spikey » Fri May 03, 2013 3:23 pm

It looks like in WA the car has to be a 99-on model to be able to get it registered, that is what it states on the ICV form, it doesn't allow you to change the car model earlier than 99 model on the form, the great thing about this kit is that it can be built in about 100 hours, talked to Tom this week and it would be A$8000 + freight, if there is more than 2 you could put it in a container and ship it over and save on freight, a quad throttle NB8 motor making around 180hp would be awesome in 650kg car.

tinsfci
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA - V8

Postby tinsfci » Fri May 03, 2013 5:30 pm

If you are planning on road registration, i'd be confirming with the manufacturer that it will meet the required torsional stiffness number. As I understand it, normal ICV's have to meet 4000 n/degree but in WA clubbies may be able to get away with less. Either way, curved members and a big open engine bay is not the usual recipe for chassis stiffness.

Can anyone confirm that any Atom's have been fully complied in Oz? I would expect to see a few of them around if it was possible.
Street='94 with FFS Coldside. Sold :(
Race='97 with AVO (soon to be Absurdflow) and GT2560 <--- sod that... LS1 conversion underway!

Evil Panda
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Evil Panda » Thu May 09, 2013 5:42 pm

IMG took over distribution and are currently working on compliance for the Atom.

http://www.atomicmotors.com.au/

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”