Exocet kit cars using mx5 as a donor

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

CQYD
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Exocet kit cars using mx5 as a donor

Postby CQYD » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Just a Q about using a mx5 as a donor car.

To build a street legal one, I can use donor car that is Stat write off or race/rally import because I'm not reusing the chassis, just the engine, transmission and suspension assembly.

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby Exocet Australia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:46 pm

CQYD wrote:Just a Q about using a mx5 as a donor car.

To build a street legal one, I can use donor car that is Stat write off or race/rally import because I'm not reusing the chassis, just the engine, transmission and suspension assembly.

Correct. one of my donors is a stat write off

Boyracer
MX-5 Encyclopedia
Vehicle: NC

Postby Boyracer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:54 pm

You can't use a import as a street legal donor as it is not ADR compliant.
NC Roadie, NC Racey, ND Racey….and a 30AE

Plus several others in the bone yard...

CQYD
Fast Driver

Postby CQYD » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:47 pm

How would that be different to people using import engines for transplant?

Just seems a bit illogical.

It's a ICV so don't you just need to pass the emissions test regardless where your engine came from?

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Boyracer wrote:You can't use a import as a street legal donor as it is not ADR compliant.

I'm not to sure on that Lou. I'll have to check with Treeve and see what he says, but I'm pretty sure you can use a written off import.

Bauer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Bauer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Exocet Australia wrote:
Boyracer wrote:You can't use a import as a street legal donor as it is not ADR compliant.

I'm not to sure on that Lou. I'll have to check with Treeve and see what he says, but I'm pretty sure you can use a written off import.

I will have a crack at the answer and will be interested to see how close to the mark I am.

Im with Lou. When building an ICV, you cant use an import unless you want to go to the massive effort of having all the components engineered (which would be a massive waste of time)

The reason, and lets use the seat as an example, is that if you use said seat, and can prove that it has passed Australian Design Rules, then it will be fine to use. Your proof of origin (donor) will be enough to satisfy. If you want to make a seat of you own and use that, it will need to prove that it can pass the relevant ADR's and as such will need to be put through rigorous testing to prove it is safe. Using a seat from a donor car that has not passed ADR's (the import donor) will also be subject to the same rules as even though it is exactly the same seat as an aussie car, you cannot prove that it has passed Australian Design Rules. This process will apply to every component that is considered to be important to the relevant authorities.

close?
cheers
Stu

Bauer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Bauer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:00 pm

CQYD wrote:How would that be different to people using import engines for transplant?

It's a ICV so don't you just need to pass the emissions test regardless where your engine came from?

My thoughts here are that an engine, import or Aussie, would need to pass emission testing so it wouldnt matter where it came from. Gearbox and diff, probably the same. It is the suspension components, brakes, seats, subframes etc, etc that would need to have been from an AU delivered donor.
cheers
Stu

sailaholic
Speed Racer

Postby sailaholic » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:52 pm

What's to stop you going to a wrecker and getting the codes of wrecked Aus delivered then using all the parts from a jap import.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CQYD
Fast Driver

Postby CQYD » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:05 am

I didn't think about ADRs for the other components. It kind of limits my options here in Darwin. It's rare for a street mx5 to be on sale let alone a written off one. That's why I was thinking of importing a Japanese donor under race/ rally. Seeing as I'll have to transport it anyway, might as well get a later spec car.

Oh well, I'll have to wait till a cheap wreck pops up here or until Exocet can offer turn key example.

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 pm

CQYD wrote:Oh well, I'll have to wait till a cheap wreck pops up here or until Exocet can offer turn key example.

I can offer turnkey Exocets. I just have to figure out the price.

Another option is for you to buy a write off on pickles either at Gateshead or in Sydney. I can arrange pickup and build it for you and ship it to NT. Sort of like a turnkey, except you supply the donor.

Would be cheaper to do it that way.

mr2 spyder
Fast Driver

Postby mr2 spyder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:12 pm

I may be able to help in the pick up of donor cars from Milperra as I have a car trailer here and am a regular over there getting cars. it is about 45 mins away though.

mr2 spyder
Fast Driver

Postby mr2 spyder » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Seriously thinking about one of these too. Just as a track car though. Too bad it does not lend itself to the MR2 mid engine layout. But this would be a sweet little unit. Think there will be a class for it soon enough with the interest being shown already.
And what to do with my track Spyder?

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Bauer wrote:
CQYD wrote:How would that be different to people using import engines for transplant?

My thoughts here are that an engine, import or Aussie, would need to pass emission testing so it wouldnt matter where it came from. Gearbox and diff, probably the same. It is the suspension components, brakes, seats, subframes etc, etc that would need to have been from an AU delivered donor.
Weird arguement, as all those componenets listed are near identical jdm vs audm. and nothing on the component would tell you what car they are from.

Kuncha
Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby Kuncha » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Boost
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Boost » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm pretty sure you can use donor parts from an import. At the end of the day as long as it pass all the requirements. e.g. a motor from an import as long as it passes IM240.

p.s. Nice seeing you on the mx5 forum Matt.

Cheers
Steve T
none as yet - looking for a white NA8

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”