Thinking about a clubman

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Thinking about a clubman

Postby Jeo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:05 am

No, not an NA8, a Lotus 7 style clubman.

I've been actively trying not to mod my car for a while now and instead focus on getting better at driving it. That's mostly worked and while it has been better for the back pocket, I'll admit that I do enjoy the 'playing with the car aspect' that comes with new mods (so much more fun than maintenance!). Or maybe I'm just getting bored. I've now had this car for just over six years (a record for me by about 4 years) and I've come to realise the fact that I basically only use it for track work, motorkhanas, hillclimbs, driving to and from said events, weekend drives, and the very occasional trip around town. Either the motorbike or bicycle gets used for commuting duties and my partners daily NA6 (yes, the other one) gets used for trips to the shops, social activities, etc. With this in mind, I've got this idea in my head that a clubman would be better suited for most of the duties I currently use my car for but I'm slightly concerned about the swap. I know there's a few guys here who have had, or still have, clubmans as a weekend car and I want to hear their thoughts on the subject.

I'm not interested in building my own (/don't have the skills) and would instead be looking at buying something already on the road and registered. Getting something engineered seems like a right pain and buying something that's already had the work done to it seems far more cost effective. Engine wise I don't want anything stupid powerful; as tempting as some of the SR20DET options might be, something simple like a 4AGE or even BP powered vehicle seems like more my style. Chuck a race seat + harness in it, get some sexy but effective wheels and reasonable rubber and away we go.

I can't really use it to carry things, but is it that much worse than an NA? Unlike the NA, I can fit a spare on the outside of the car; can I get a decent track day tool kit in the boot?
I shouldn't leave it at the local shopping centre, but is it that much worse than an NA with the roof down?
If, on the once in a blue moon occasion, I do have to drive it to work, would I be comfortable leaving it in my work "secure" parking lot for the day?
Is it "that" much more fun than my NA? (1.8l, bracing, brakes, breathing mods, ECU, coilovers, seat, harness, wheels and tyres, etc)

I've had the idea in the back of my mind for a while now and the best reason I've come up with is that with all the mods I've done to my car, I've effectively made a worse clubman. I don't use it as a normal car so much anymore, so why have a 'normal car'?

Guran
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

Re: Thinking about a clubman

Postby Guran » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Joe, we have a few club members who have clubmans. I suggest you have a chat with Black Penguin's dad (Ian Diven) for a start. Phil Abraham is a regular supersprinter who now as a MNR Vortx (was in a Lotus Elise prior to this), and Allan Bugh is a former member (now with ARDC) who drives a very quick PRB and was the Type SV Supersprint Champion in 2011. He has done 1:02.8 at Wakefield Park and 1:39.1 at Eastern Creek GP although he had the last year off and hasn't quite got back to those times yet this year. I can dig out some contact details if you want them. Or better still, just come along to the next supersprint round at Wakefield Park on 18th August and you can chat with ALL the clubbie guys.

The main thing to keep in mind with a clubman is that they are fabulous in the dry ... miserable in the wet. No roof! They also have a reputation for being the first cars to dump oil on the track (although lately the EVOs, WRXs, and other turbos have challenged that dubious record). But if were to have a dedicated track car that I towed to the track, I'd be thinking seriously about a clubman ... or an open-wheeler.
Standard 2006 NC - YouTube
WP 1:11.89 | SMP-S 1:05.90 GP 1:54.93 N 1:18.09 L 2:22.49 | PW 1:02.52
PI 2:00.55 | W-S 1:12.44 W-L 1:43.36 | SR 1:33.25

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Last year Rocky was considering one in his future - some observations here:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=52338

Jeo wrote:I can't really use it to carry things, but is it that much worse than an NA?

Yeah, it's much worse than an NA space-wise.

Unlike the NA, I can fit a spare on the outside of the car; can I get a decent track day tool kit in the boot?

Not all have a boot box built into the rear end. On many you lift the cover, if there's a cover & the fuel tank & diff is staring back at you.

I shouldn't leave it at the local shopping centre, but is it that much worse than an NA with the roof down?

If, on the once in a blue moon occasion, I do have to drive it to work, would I be comfortable leaving it in my work "secure" parking lot for the day?

Get one with a full tonneau & immobiliser, which many of the newer ones already have.

Is it "that" much more fun than my NA? (1.8l, bracing, brakes, breathing mods, ECU, coilovers, seat, harness, wheels and tyres, etc).

Depends - it's a very individual thing - really best to take one for a decent drive.

I've had the idea in the back of my mind for a while now and the best reason I've come up with is that with all the mods I've done to my car, I've effectively made a worse clubman. I don't use it as a normal car so much anymore, so why have a 'normal car'?

It's not dissimilar to running a motor bike - initially you'll possibly feel vulnerable to traffic around you & of course to the weather & temperature. So, if it were me & I was still living in the ACT, I'd want a heater so I could maximise year round use, & I'd want a full height windscreen. Also would want a soft-top for occasional use, noting it's very tight head height-wise, & also elbow-wise if side curtains are also fitted. A bikini soft-top from wrapping around rollbar to top of windscreen would be a good compromise, giving you some cover from heat in high summer as well as providing a bit of a windbreak in winter.

Would I get another one? Possibly, I still keep an eye on what's for sale, but living in southern Vic it would already have to have some of the above. The main put off for me was that I'd get a headache after most drives. I think it was from having to wear a baseball cap really tight for it to stay on at any speed over about 80kph, or possibly the exhaust fumes, but I think it was the former.

There's a fairly cheap ($18k) selfbuild road going clubbie that one of the well known Ozclubbies guys in the ACT is currently selling. At that kind of price you can always get close to your money back if it doesn't appeal.

corners
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - Supercharged

Postby corners » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Having dríven both an NA and many clubmans they can be fun but there is the certain element of risk that you feel when driving them.
IE Can the person see me beside them?

They are loads of fun including the BDR engine ones but they are typically quite expensive given they are not dime a dozen.

If you want any more info feel free to shoot me a PM
Steampunk wrote: Oh you've got Ohlins? You must like drugs too!!!

Black_Penguin
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Black_Penguin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 am

Driving a clubman is like turning everything up to 11. With proper bike wet weather gear rain is bearable, just make sure the fly is water proof :shock:.
With regards to carrying tools for track days if you remove the passenger seat the passenger area can be used to carry your gear/spare wheels etc
My Garage Thread WP 1:16.1 SMSP South 1:10.0 WSID 15.6

Regie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC - V8

Postby Regie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:22 am

If you are after a dedicated track car, I'd be buying a formula ford. Nothing beats these price wise for the driving experience
MY07 NC, Mazdaspeed Body, Ohlins, Full GWR Exhaust, 17x9 RPF1's, 4.1FGR and lots lots more

Drek
Fast Driver

Postby Drek » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:19 pm

I get the impression that it's a good time to be looking too - there's been a couple bargains on Fleabay lately - there was a PRB that had to be listed for at least $10k less than what it would be 'worth'... It does often tend to be a buyers market so be patient and you should pick up a great deal.. A couple years ago I nearly drove to SA for a Westfield selling for $13k (paint was a bit chipped with use so owner dropped already very reasonable price)..

I'll be looking for my Clubman (and probably sell my NA) in about 18 months - after I graduate and get back into the workforce.. :wink:

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”