Australian Exocets now suitable for....

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Australian Exocets now suitable for....

Postby Exocet Australia » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Ive just spoken to our engineer.

We recommend that before you decide on a kit, go and have your NA8/NB Emissions tested, (free in Sydney) If it passes, start building your Exocet on your NA8/NB8A/NB8B.
If it fails, get a tune, inspect your exhaust, maybe a new cat, then try again.

Exocets now suitable for these models

ImageImage

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Australian Exocets now suitable for....

Postby PaulF » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:30 pm

So any 1.8 should be able to get road registered provided that it can pass emissions?

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:08 pm

yep. it should. Saying that, alot of the certification is now out of my hands. he wont transfer across alot of the testing. Really, its only the Beaming and Torsion tests that will transfer.
All your testing will cost around the 2k mark, so you'll need to factor in those costs to your build.

Lane change test. (if your suspension isnt set up right, you'll fail.)
Brake test. (if they're stock, good chance he'll transfer results across. Big brake kit....he'll re-test)
Noise test. (96dB from memory)

deviant
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby deviant » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:32 pm

The ozclubbie forums has a few engineers posting and lots of people that have jumped through the hoops to get on the road.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:00 pm

You may wish to list the states that the above applies to (I presume NSW)

I'm thinking it might save the hassle, and potential business loss, if somebody buys one going off the info and finding it doesn't apply to their state.

I know that people should be doing their own research beforehand, but unfortunately some people are dumb like that (I'm recalling the guy who bought an exhaust, cut it up and re-welded a heap of stuff to use it in a custom system, then whined that the company wouldnt refund him and wanted him to send the exhaust so they could see what the issue was)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:59 pm

I've emailed the engineer. Lets see what he comes back with.

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm

From the Engineer.

G’day Matt,

Per our conversation, the associated ICV costs depend on how much previous engineering information comes with the kit, and how much I would have to do myself. So on this basis, the typical costs are in the range of $3,000 to $6,000. If we get the B&T test, any seat testing, seat belt mounts and seat mounts testing carried out on your car, then for most people, $1,500 to $3,000 is realistic. Some may be less, some may be more, depending on how well they work within the requirements of the ADRs.

Each individual will need to have a full inspection carried out, the first Exocet will probably take me 5-8 hours, making sure I get a full set of photos of just about every nut, bolt, welded join, panel, and mechanical connection in the suspension. I will also need to take notes on camber, caster, toe, and suspension settings for front and rear, as well as weight distribution and a brake test on both a plate tester machine and a full ADR 31/01 Abridged brake test. The first vehicle will also need to be tested to the lane change test, noise test and speedo calibration check. If all subsequent vehicles are set up using the same suspension settings, and can provide a brake test report to match the brake plate tester report, then the cost will be significantly less ($30 vs. $750+GST) for the brake test, and no further cost for the lane change test.

All vehicles will need to go through a noise test, and speedo calibration check, as well as being test dríven for a minimum of 25km; this normally takes place on the runway; if brought out to Orange, I will do this for $500+GST, in place of carrying out the full suite of tests ($1,750+GST). These prices include the runway hire.

For emissions in NSW all ICVs must go through the IM240 test, however they only need reach 1/1/1997 emissions requirements, since that is all that can be tested to, anywhere in Australia. I do not work in Vic, so cannot really comment, but I have heard of recent ICVs being registered there, so I do not understand this sentiment. This vehicle should be considered to be like any other kit car, and as such is perfectly able to be registered. NSW was once rumoured as the hardest state to register in; I am happy and quite confident to see ICVs registered here, so I see no reason why Vic would be any harder. If there are any comments that refute this, I am willing to answer them.

Importantly, it is proper to remember that the Federal legislation includes small manufacturer’s having exemptions from crash testing etc; these can be applied to ICV builders, and hence the requirements are a lot easier to deal with than most believe.

I'm now happy to sell someone a kit for their NA6...

Thoughts on this please gentlemen.

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”