The start point of a new project...

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

015CAR
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Turbo

The start point of a new project...

Postby 015CAR » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:22 am

Hello to those who take the time to read this!

I have a turbo MX5- for those who don't yet know me.
I have attended too few track days as yet, but the bug has most certainly burrowed in to stay.
I love my 5, but I still feel that I can create something more focused and lighter; and really covet the opportunity that I have right now to explore this thought- So I shall.
In emailing some detail about where I was up to with the project tonight, I wrote some 'wit' and thought some of you might find my musings amusing.

I have decided in doing the research so far that ICV’s and kit cars are like girl friends.

We all want one.
We all know we think what the ideal one looks like and what it might be able to do for us.
We are all very quick to criticise what we see as shortcomings in our plans for our ideal one.
We are now aware that we might not have to take what we are offered by the mass market girlfriend manufacturers, and this concept has whipped us into a perfection/idealist based fury.
We will now obsess with what our ideals may be with the advent of unlimited potential, and crucify those who lust after or suggest creation of any different.
...All girlfriends are now substandard.
...I must now troll all those who lust after said girlfriends that differ in anyway to mine…

I know I am a part of this, because despite my awareness, I still think I can invent the greatest girlfriend the world has yet seen.
I think that is the poetry of this endeavour.

R.

Please let me simply say I do not actually have a heightened sense of self belief, nor do I actually believe what I embark on is going to be easy, but I really want to expand my knowledge and skill set, and I suspect there is a small chance I might be good at this. If I'm right- at the very least I get a great car to enjoy, at best -you are witness to the beginning of my late in (ok mid) life career change to something I'm truly passionate about.
At this time the plan is for a mid mounted rear drive FWD sr20 into a tube chassis with MX5 geometry and suspension. It's a two donor build, but the sr is all about ease and mid rear config.
I have the SSS n15 pulsar already, The workbench is now constructed and I am grabbing the last bits to complete the 2nd hand welder. Most of the rest of the tools I have...

I am impressed with the amount of info on what I consider to be my home 'club' forum, and will post as I can - if there is interest.
I hope to hear from those who have an experienced or educated view on this, there are many here clearly.

I have tonight read more on the Exocet and Matt's endeavors- and wish all involved the very best- they sound like the best thing I could spend the money on If I wasn't crazy enough to back myself in this project!

* these are not the droids you are looking for*

Here we go! Crazy as F@ck and loving it.... :mrgreen:

Rich.
QR clubman 64.93 - lakeside 67 neat- first time out...

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: The start point of a new project...

Postby PaulF » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:23 am

Sounds mental. I look forward to it. :twisted:

Smacca
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: The start point of a new project...

Postby Smacca » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:53 am

And so it begins... Looking forward to following your progress. Good luck!

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”