Exocet Trailer

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Exocet Trailer

Postby Exocet Australia » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi guys,

The Exocet/MX5/Clubman trailer will be finished this week if anyone is interested in coming for a look.

Photos will be posted on the Facebook page when it's done. PM/email me for pricing.

Cheers,

Matt.

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Re: Exocet Trailer

Postby Exocet Australia » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:54 pm

Some build pics.

Apu
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Apu » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Can't wait for it to be finished!

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00 pm

You're in luck Bryan. I quit my day job yesterday to focus wholly on the Exocet/Reid Welding & Fab part of my life. 63 hours in 4 days near killed me trying to run my business' as well as someone else's.

Expect your trailer delivered just after New Years.

Apu
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Apu » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:57 am

Sweet!

gslender
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby gslender » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:43 am

Do you have more info on the trailers? Price and specs?

G
MX5 91 NA6 LE completely stock and loving it!
MX5 92 NA8/ITBs Silver "aka Track Beeotch"

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:08 am

Deck size is: 1880x3600mm
Brakes are Hydraulic Drums
Hubs are Ford
Wheels and Tyres are 14x6 with Light Truck tyres
Weight: Expected weight is around the 350kg mark. Springs are rated at 1500kg. (I'll get it over a weighbridge this week to get the total weight.

Price until 30 Jan is $3000 + GST
Price after 30 Jan is $3900 + GST

Obviously, cash is King, and I really really like cash, so I'll do a better price than that.

Trailers come UNCOATED. I can arrange paint, powdercoat or Galvanising (trailers being prepped for gal is an extra $150 or I can tell you what to do to get it ready for dipping) but the cost for coating is yours.

Trailers come with a blue slip. Rego is up to you.

I can add all sorts of other stuff to it. Stone deflectors, track rim stands, jerry can holders, toolboxes. All this is obviously extra costs.

It comes down to how much you want to spend. My trailers are still cheaper than most standard ramp/tilt trailers and built by me, a qualified boilermaker, not some guy that's done a Tafe course in welding.

The Sales Spin: They're so easy to load, even your wife could do it....

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:28 am

I assume that the hydraulic brake controller will also be extra?

What is the aggregate trailer mass and the expected tow ball weight (which will depend on where the car is placed)? Warranty?

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:51 am

Brake unit is included.

ATM, depending on who's definition you use, is 1560kg.

Ball Weight: You're right, it does depend on where you position your load. When the trailer I'm building now is finished, I'm getting a few different cars off Dann to do some balance testing. If you're close to Newcastle, you can bring your car to the shop and we can get it balanced to your tow vehicles ball weight.

12 Month Structural Warranty.

gslender
Speed Racer

Postby gslender » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:20 am

I'm located in Brisbane, and so probably a little too far to come to inspect before purchasing, but totally Ok for me to buy and come and collect.

In saying that, I'd need more photos and explanation on how the pivot is structurally sound and the engineering on how it keeps the axle solid/square - it looks like it floats the axle in a box section but has no cross beam to the other axle. So what stops the hubs from splaying out under heavy loads?

G

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:53 pm

The pivot point is made up of a 7/8 Grade 8.8 Bolt, through 2 sleeves that Ive had turned specifically for my trailers. They are 8mm wall thickness.

The ATM stated a few posts above is a guess at the moment. Ive yet to get it over a weighbridge. A piece of steel lodged in my leg that went undiscovered for a few days and nearly undone me. Leg is infected and I'm waiting for the drugs to kick in so I can get back to the workshop.

On another note, being laid up for a few days has given me the chance to make the template for the Frog Arms I've been working on. I'll be taking the template to the laser cutters tomorrow so I'll know the costs soon enough. If you're interested PM me. I've also got Door Bars in the works.

gslender
Speed Racer

Postby gslender » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Ouch! That's not good. Hope the leg gets better soon.

I'm still unclear on how the trailer hub/axle lowers and raises - I'm concerned that it doesn't seem to have an axle beam between the two wheels (in which case some engineering box section is absorbing the vertical stress normally distributed evenly between two sections joined by a hub). I guess that is the compromise needed to enable the tilt and lowering of the flat bed to enable low vehicles easier access - I'm just unsure how this works and that it is a sensible design approach.

I think some photos of that section and explanation as to why it works would help.

Sorry and appreciate you might need to get back to the workshop to be able to take photos to explain etc.

Cheers,
G

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:15 pm

It uses stub axles, that is why the pins which it pivots on are HUGE.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:14 pm

It's a bit hard to get out to the workshop to get some photos, so I'll explain my theory behind my pivot points.
On a Hayman Reece towbar, you can pull the towball and tongue out by pulling the pin and sliding it out. You know the part I mean?

That pin, at 12mm round, is supposed to hold 35tonne before breaking. The RHS that slides in and out that the tongue is welded to, has a wall thickness of 5mm. So at 2 points along the length of the pin, a total surface area of 10mm is pushing on that pin, and 10mm pulling, creating shear points and it still doesn't break.

My pivot points are held in by 2 x 7/8 high tensile bolts, with a total surface area of 140mm. 70mm of which is pushing against the bolt, the other 70mm pulling.

Does that make sense? That's my engineering thought process.

Sounds fancy to my half delirious brain.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:28 pm

It may help if you can show people that the design has been verified by an engineer.

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”