Exocet Trailer

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

97 MXV
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Exocet Trailer

Postby 97 MXV » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:46 pm

This is great, talking to a Patent Attorney and not getting a bill :lol:

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby Exocet Australia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:15 pm

And its at this point I'll jump in and say that I built 1 trailer of that design which is still in my workshop and is now used to balance cars to get the downward ball weight correct for different models That design never went into production, I designed something better and stronger. I didn't use an engineer with all their fancy mathematics and scientific calculations to design it either.

Funny how a simple minded boilermaker could come up with a pretty easy design at a very reasonable cost to the end user instead of overcharging loyal customers for a few sticks of steel and some wheels.

I should probably post this:

And sign off my full last name....

Matt Reid
Exocet Australia

but I wont do that.

97 MXV
Racing Driver

Postby 97 MXV » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback Matt. :)
Among friends here and quite ok to disclose your obvious inventiveness and no need to hide it.

Inventiveness has nothing to do with vocation.
Engineers are trained as technological risk managers not as inventors.
People want to quantify the risk in terms of certainty, Engineers do that for them.
How certain can we be about the risk of "a few sticks of steel and some wheels" travelling down the road at 100 kph with a car right behind filling the rear vision mirror?

Who certifies it? Who says its ok? particularly if a new design a new invention never tried before? Who gets sued or charged if it fails with critical consequences?
Under our laws it is not buyer beware, it is designer, manufacturer and sellers beware.

Customers only want to pay for "a few sticks of steel and some wheels", but some want to buy the quality, durability and safety of the total product too.
It is up to you who you sell to, but some customers may need a little more assurance on quality, durability and safety than provided so far.

Some customers may even be willing to pay an assurance premium if it means they have bought more than "a few sticks of steel and some wheels"

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:59 pm

*sigh*

It seems you're intent on slinging some crap around Keith, and to be honest, I couldn't really care.

If you want the truth, I designed a trailer, consulted with some guys that build car frames on how to best pivot it, had a weld proceedure done, mag-particle test and x-ray done through Anyfab here in Newcastle and passed. I even have a pretty certicifate and some documents in my filing cabinet to show the results.

What I don't understand is why you have bought this up now? 5 months ago you asked me to build your trailers here under licence. Is it because at the time I couldn't afford it and refused? Have I offended you in some way? Taken some of your customers? Or is it some other reason?

Actually, don't worry about answering because I couldn't care less although you probably will to try to justify yourself.

97 MXV
Racing Driver

Postby 97 MXV » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 am

Exocet Australia wrote:*sigh*

I designed a trailer, consulted with some guys that build car frames on how to best pivot it, had a weld proceedure done, mag-particle test and x-ray done through Anyfab here in Newcastle and passed. I even have a pretty certicifate and some documents in my filing cabinet to show the results.

Matt,
Your words seem to be focused on engineers and myself in particular instead of focused on your trailers and your customers. Lets get back to them.
Clearly I am helping your customers by bringing you out to describe to them in your words above some of the basic processes you have used to minimize technological risk for them.

Already it is starting to appear more than "a few sticks of steel and some wheels" :)

How else can you and "some guys" manage technological risk for your customers ?
Answer....Phone an engineer !

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:46 pm

My decision to buy a trailer was based on the reputation as well as in depth discussion with the builder. Price was a factor, but safety was my main priority. If I'm towing on a public road and sh*t happens I want confidence that the trailer I'm towing is not a risk to myself and other roads users. Over engineered I'm happy with as it allows for a safety factor and addition of other equipment later on.

Unfortunately I spend all my working day with engineers and they are their own special breed :) But engineers do serve a purpose...

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:07 pm

For all the other engineers

toppertee
Racing Driver

Postby toppertee » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:57 am

Who would of though, a fitter and engineer having a difference of opinion on site….. Then a planner sticking his nose in where it doesn’t belong. :mrgreen:

BTW the sparkys are the unappreciated scholars’ onsite! :wink:

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:04 am

I'm not a planner, however I have to suffer them as well :)

Electricians are to construction sites as nurses are to hospitals :) #ducks for cover#

My most recent (contractual) experience with an electrical contractor (ODG - Oh Dear God) makes me prefer boilermakers and engineers….

Exocet Australia
Fast Driver

Postby Exocet Australia » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:05 am

I used to be a project manager in Brisbane for a construction company and then later in Saudi Arabia.

In my opinion, smartest guy on site is the guy pushing the broom. :lol:

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:59 am

I own a Loadsafe trailer, it has its flaws.... No trailer is perfect.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

gslender
Speed Racer

Postby gslender » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:32 pm

One thing is for certain - the customer is always wrong!

G
MX5 91 NA6 LE completely stock and loving it!
MX5 92 NA8/ITBs Silver "aka Track Beeotch"

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:42 pm

It does not pay to be perfect! Aim low and meet your expectations.

97 MXV
Racing Driver

Postby 97 MXV » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:14 pm

beavis wrote:I own a Loadsafe trailer, it has its flaws.... No trailer is perfect.

If it helps I have passed your remarks on to Richard at Loadsafe.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:46 pm

97 MXV wrote:
beavis wrote:I own a Loadsafe trailer, it has its flaws.... No trailer is perfect.

If it helps I have passed your remarks on to Richard at Loadsafe.

I assume Richard has received my feedback already, via Teruo.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”