U.K. Rocketeer Build - Jag V-6

Discussion regarding putting a non MX-5 engine in your MX-5, Exocet, Locost, FM Westfield and other MX-5 based kit cars.

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, -alex

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Re: U.K. Rocketeer Build - Jag V-6

Postby NitroDann » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:29 am

Code4 wrote:For someone who wants something a bit more unique with a different sound to your turbo 'ricer' Mx-5, then its an option

So, it's the exhaust note equivalent of this body kit?..

Wow, not for me then..

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 pm

It sounds like it's mainly an exercise in being able to tell your mates you've got a "freeleeta vee six"

I can appreciate the work etc, but I'm kind of with Dann here, it's a lot of effort for minimal benefit other than bragging rights and a different noise.

Worth noting though, I just generally dislike V6s.
I see them as an engine with the worst parts of an I4 and an V8
Not that much power, but you get the tight packaging etc that makes it a bastard to work on.
At least a V8 can reward you with some decent power/torque to make it worth the effort.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:30 pm

A v8 or an inline 6 are the best engines, but due to packaging the V6 often makes a great car.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Hammer wrote:But what if I wanted it to keep it as an MX5, but put an LS3 V8 in it like they commonly do in the US (I particularly like the set-up that Tom (from Tom's Turbo Garage) did to his NB8B MX5 SE (aka Mazdaspeed)). Does anyone know if this conversation can be made road legal in NSW?

In a nutshell, no. Not legal anywhere in Australia due to excessive capacity to weight ratio. You'd have to Bullit/ICV it.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:46 pm

I think one of the reasons they did the conversion is to attract viewers, and to advertise the kit. It certainly got our attention.

legume
Driver

Postby legume » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:11 pm

bruce wrote:
Hammer wrote:But what if I wanted it to keep it as an MX5, but put an LS3 V8 in it like they commonly do in the US (I particularly like the set-up that Tom (from Tom's Turbo Garage) did to his NB8B MX5 SE (aka Mazdaspeed)). Does anyone know if this conversation can be made road legal in NSW?

In a nutshell, no. Not legal anywhere in Australia due to excessive capacity to weight ratio. You'd have to Bullit/ICV it.

VSB14 here, and section LA pdf here states 800-1000 kg mutiply the weight by 4.0 to get a capacity allowed and 2.75 for turbo. These should be the original listed weight before mod (however It seems that some are getting away with an after mod weight)

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm

legume wrote:
bruce wrote:

VSB14 here, and section LA pdf here states 800-1000 kg mutiply the weight by 4.0 to get a capacity allowed and 2.75 for turbo. These should be the original listed weight before mod (however It seems that some are getting away with an after mod weight)

^
that sounds about right, as I recall there being a red NA fitted with a Toyota UZ engine (4litre) legally.
And the same owner later on built an NB with a 5.7 LS engine, which due to being over the allowed capacity required substantial mods and was registered as an ICV.

I think one of the other headaches with engine swaps is the EPA requirements, I seem to recall something about the engine not being allowed to be older than the chassis it's fitted to. And it must retain all emissions gear that the engine had when fitted in it's original chassis.
Been a while since I;ve looked though, so my memory of the EPA rules may no longer be valid.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:57 pm

You are mincing rules together.
Engine cant be older than car.
An emissions test is needed unless all emissions gearis kept, including stock intake (and new engine already emissions complied originally).

Odd
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Odd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:26 pm

It is a beautifully engineered and presented kit

The same V6 has been used in Mazda's but they chose the jag motor due to better internals

Same weight as standard motor and less strain on gearbox and diff than turbo/supercharging

Not cheap....but would tick my boxes
You can't demand respect....you have to earn it
NA8 for Fun, CX5 for carrying crap...;)

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 am

Same engine as V6 ZA ZB ford escape minus the Jag go faster bits. So I guess if you wanted to rebuild the 3.0L, you could get a escape motor and upgrade to the go faster bits.

But agree with others. It is a lot of work to take an engine with nil history, do what they did, for the power they got.

As least when you upgrade the 1.6/1.8, you know what needs to be done at the time.

Return to “Engine swaps, Exocet, Locost & MX-5 kit cars”